Tension Pully Issue ????

Taino

Nov 29, 1999
So I removed the bottom smog pull yrs ago. I replaced it with the replacement pully most get when doing this. while driving to work one day the pully failed n came off. I bought a shorter belt by passing the smog pully, This has caused my tensioner pully to start squeeling under acceleration, I went ahead and replaced the tensioner pully 3 times so far and it still sqeels under acceleration. Belt tension is smack dab in the middle marker, Cant use a longer belt as it will rub. Maybe change the middle pully for a smaller one ? I fear I'll have to get another relacement pully for the smog n use the longer sepentine belt. Crap costing me $$$$ I dont have URGH!

• Sponsors (?)

ive been chasing a dam sqeal for a long time comes and goes, the last thing i replaced was my tensioner pulley too i got a nice UPR pulley with bearing still makes the noise. Like grabbin asphalt said sure its your tensioner pulley cause its almost inpossible for me to hear where exactly my noise is coming from?

Its the Pully, I can rev it up while looking at it. Its been changed 3 times but still makes same squeek sound. Worst case scenario I have to buy the smog pully replacement and the longer belt to releave tension on pully wheel :( Right now the tension needle marks 50%

All I can think of based on what I see is the tension is straining the pully causeing the squeek, have to get longer serp belt n smog pully to release tension on pully

Its the Pully, I can rev it up while looking at it. Its been changed 3 times but still makes same squeek sound. Worst case scenario I have to buy the smog pully replacement and the longer belt to releave tension on pully wheel :( Right now the tension needle marks 50%

All I can think of based on what I see is the tension is straining the pully causeing the squeek, have to get longer serp belt n smog pully to release tension on pully
Is it the belt slipping that is making the noise or the bearing? The stethascope or a long screwdriver SHOULD have heard bearing noise at even a regular load, so I am betting it is LOW belt tension causing slip and your noise. Someone joked about lube on the belt, but if you use actual belt lube conditioner, and the noise goes away, you have low tension.

Did your replacements include the spring loaded tension parts, not just the pulley? I doubt just a pulley will fix your problem.

Reactions: 1 user
I still think less tension is the wrong way to go. Try the next shorter belt or go back to what did not make noise. A new belt would be cheapest, but try the belt dressing first to confirm slippage.
Also check for pulley alignment. If another accessory is off or crooked, there will be no end to the noise. I really hate to see you chasing your tail on this if cash is a problem!

Jrichker, any other ideas?

belt should be 84.5 providing that the ac and all is intact . usually they squeal if the belt is slightly stretched

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Belt is new, It just too much tension is all. I'll have to get the replacement smog pully n get original longer belt to relieve the tension to Fac specs :( I guess I can keep the shorter belt as an emergency belt just in case smog delete pully goes bad on me again