Squeaky Belt. Any ideas?

Andrew Larsen

Jul 18, 2015
Hey guys, I own a modified 1992 5.0 Vortech Supercharged Notch.
I did not install the supercharger.
I'm having a squeaking belt issue.
Under some investigation I found that the aftermarket 130a alternator is pushed forward / not aligned properly with the rest of the cars pulleys. And the belt is rubbing on the crank pully and smog delete pully.

I just replaced that smog pump pully because the bearing in it was going out and thought that might have been related to my squeaking belt.
After looking at the pictures what would you do to try and remedy this? I'm thinking taking it part and see if anything is bent/shimmed/loose?

Appreciate any input.
Thank you! 20180528_161627.jpg 20180528_161432.jpg 20180528_161258.jpg 20180528_161456.jpg 20180528_155919.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Some of the older alternators had a shim behind the pulley, don't know if the 3Gs do or not. If there is, pull it out and check for clearance.

If you had the clearance to moved the pulley closer to the alternator and there's no shim, you could find somebody with a lathe and have some material removed in the hub or somehow shim the brackets back to get it aligned.

Sometimes it's a real pain to get things aligned properly.

I'm wondering about this on the blue car, right now. Not to thread-hijack, but I think this might be beneficial to both of us: Is there a best practice for identifying if the pulleys are slightly misaligned?

I've been trying to figure out how I might use a laser pointer, or one of those picture hanging wall laser tools.

Because of squealing, I ended up swapping to an adjustment rod set up that I'm worried I may be over tightening to get rid of the squeals. Before doing so, I had the last adjuster set very tight, and peculiarly, the belt lost a single rib. It was the rib closest to the radiator. Got me thinking that maybe one of the pullies is chewing that edge of the belt up.

A laser isn't a bad idea. Problem is is different pullies have a different measurement from the front edge to say the first rib. If you have a good longer straight edge, you could put it on the crank pully and swing it around to each pully and get a measurement for each one to something like each first rib. It can be a real pain but I've managed to get them aligned on all my builds no matter how weird the setup.

Now If someone put a fox pulley on that and used a washer to keep the pulley off the body then that’s the next issue . 94-95 had there own specific alt pulley that Is the same diameter as the original fox pulley . 96 and up was bigger .

So, in my case, things came to a head, today. I got a really bad nails-on-chalkboard sound, and it seemed that the power steering pump pulley had seized up, but as it turns out, one of the pump bolts had backed out into the pulley, causing the seizure. It tore up a belt,and after getting the bolt back in and a new belt, everything seems to be back in good working order. I guess it's not an alignment issue.

Reactions: 1 users