Test Drove A '15 Prem Gt W/ Performance Pack... Wow!

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
Well, I am honestly amazed with that car. I wouldn't want to race it in my '04... LOL. I think it would truly be a driver's race. My only complaint is the clutch is way too light, I could barely feel it at all. Time will tell, but if I can successfully unload my car for the right price, I may be purchasing an Impact Blue Premium with the performance package.

Have any of you noticed any quirks or anything that isn't quite right about yours? I only ask because I typically do not like buying first model year vehicles. I did that with an escape and was plagued with recalls, issues with the SYNC, and ended up trading it in with less than 15k miles because I was sick of dealing with it.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the premium PP like the one you test drove. No quirks. Only thing is if the shift knob is turned too much to the side, the reverse pull thing can stick. Nothing else. I have taken out a newer SS and actually pulled on a (2010..?) Saleen on Wednesday. These things are quick! I'm sure the 3.73s have a lot to do with it.

I can honestly say that this is the only car, in this price range, that I have ever driven straight off the lot and gone, "DAMN! This thing is stock?"

Other than the wheel hop with the IRS, the only other issue I can comment on is the slight surge a 2900 RPM's which seems to be an issue across several Ford models not just the Mustang.

Otherwise.....this is the most fun I've had in a mostly stock car.

Yeah, that is EXACTLY what I thought when I test drove it. I originally had the idea of selling my car, and setting about 6k back for a procharger to slap on, but in all honesty... I dont really think it needs it. It is fast out of the box. Exhaust needs work for sure, (i'm thinking lethal's h-pipe resonator delete and welding in 40 series stainless flowmasters), as it is way quiet. Granted, I say that now, but I am sure I would get used to the power fairly quick and want more... after all, too much horsepower is almost enough. LOL. I guess I am looking at them because my car is comfortable as it sits and to do anything else would cost thousands of dollars and more work than I really want to do.

I would imagine that with these new cars, a little bit of suspension work out back, drag radials, and a CAI w/ tune would probably get it DEEP in to the 12 second (if not high 11) quarter mile range.

My dad told me the same thing - sell the car and the bike, bank the $, and send the bike payment & insurance to the same acct while I'm gone... Come back and have about 16k worth of a down payment... That is GT350 territory (if ford offers Z-plan on it)! Chances are, I would just get a '15 now though. I know I can get Z-plan on a new gt prem and enjoy it until I leave, have something to drive on midtour and just drive it out to Vegas upon return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test drove a new 15 at Barrett Jackson today. All I can say is holy crap..This car pulled harder than my vortech fox body and handled and braked like no other mustang i've driven. It is light years ahead of even my 2013.The interrior is so much nicer I kept expecting the rear end to kick out as I was hot lapping it but the damn thing stuck like glue. I kept telling myself there is no way this is stock. It sounds mean like it has a catback on it.

Reactions: 1 user
When you think about it....there aren't too many major issues to iron out with the '15+ cars. Yes, it's the first year of the new body style and the IRS, but the rest of the car is essentially little more than a cleaned up version of what it was prior. The front end geometry, brakes, drive and power train have been essentially unchanged since 2011 (save for some tweaking here and there).

Love the '15's

I love this car, had since December. I have about 2400 miles. My only issue is I keep spending money...but well worth it. Its my daily driver and I look forward to driving it everyday. It puts a smile on my face every time.

So far I did:
Roush Axle Back (I like the sound the best)
Roush Shifter ball (Everyone loves it) looks awesome and has a good feel(White)
Ford X-pipe
Steeda Tower brace
Eibach Pro Springs
K&N filter

Next expenses:
CST-X4 tuner
Steeda G-track Brace