testing an A9L

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I have a spare A9L that I plan to keep since I have two Foxbody cars that may need it in the future. I want to test is just for giggles if I get bored sometime. My 93 convertible has an A9P. Can I unplug the A9P and plug in the A9L just for testing purposes? The LX hatch has an A9L but its tuned with a SCT so I don't wanna mess with it.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can use it in the A9P car but for safety just unplug the O2 sensor harness since they are pinned differently. Better to be safe than sorry and is simple to unplug on the passenger side of the engine bay.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
To echo stanglx2002 - do not skip unplugging the O2 harness. If the o2 harness is properly wired for the A9P and you leave it plugged in, you will fry the A9L

I just came into an A9L from a friend, I'm going to test it on another A9L car to be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
How do I re-pin the auto trans harness (A9P) for use with and A9L. In other words, If I want to put and A9L in a car originally equipped with A9P, how do I modify the O2 harness?

If it is original, the capacitors may be on the edge of deteriorating by now anyway. When I swapped my Ditzy original computer for a Local salvage yard one, I sent the Ditzy one in for a re-cap and test. It was not very expensive, and tested out fine after the standard fixes. It is waiting for use and should be ready to go if or ever I need it.

Reactions: 1 user
How do I re-pin the auto trans harness (A9P) for use with and A9L. In other words, If I want to put and A9L in a car originally equipped with A9P, how do I modify the O2 harness?

If you’re looking what to re-pin, it’s based on your car, harness, ECM, trans, year, etc. well need more details or you can google as others have mentioned.

Assuming you know what to change, the mechanics of how to re-pin are actually pretty simple:

On the O2 harness 8 pin connector, look at the pins and you’ll see a red piece of plastic. This ‘locks’ the pins/wire into the connector. This red piece slides in and out by taking a straight pick (or hard nail, in a pinch) and pushing the red tab on the side of the connector (not in the valley where the pins are, rather the side of the connector itself). It’s sort of an in-and-up motion. It doesn’t take much, so if you’re feeling like you’re trying too hard, you are.

Once the red tab is out, the pins won’t simply fall out - they are loosely held in with tabs near where the red plastic piece resides (each pin has a tab holding it in, these are in the valley where the pins can be seen). Gently move each tab for each pin you want to remove (be VERY gentle. It only takes about the thickness of the pick to release the pin) and the pin will simply fall out.

To re-pin, just push the wire crimp into the correct hole on the plastic electrical connector. You’ll hear/feel a faint snap that holds it in place. Put the red piece of plastic back in to lock it all up and and you’re done.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users