Drivetrain Testing traction lock in the car

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I am having trouble finding specs on testing a 8.8 traction lock to see how worn the clutches are or are not. I think I remember reading about blocking the front wheels, jacking up one rear wheel and using a torque wrench to measure how hard it is to turn the wheel with the opposite one not moving.
Does this sound familiar, or does someone have a better idea?

• Sponsors (?)

That seems pretty subjective to me. The last time I repacked mine, I did it with an extra clutch. It's stiff.

I agree that your method can certainly provide you a reference but what do you compare it to?

I'd do it. Then I'd rebuild it. Then I'd do it again and make a thread about it. :shrug:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The torque wrench (on a lug nut) reading provided the pass/no pass measurement. I’m not sure the procedure was not originally written up for on a lift. As useless as they normally are, maybe it was in a Chiltons /Haynes manual instead of Ford. I don’t think so. But maybe. I saved the Hot Rod article on rebuilding the Eaton version of the 8.8” but do not want to take it apart for testing.
The obvious way of a good, long burnout is not going to happen on new all season tires.

Found this online for GM Eaton style posi.

The method used for determining clutch and system performance to a testable standard is = (must resist or not not turn @ or below 250 LBS torque) A little old school but a test used years ago when I worked on the Dealership Heavy Line. Use a torque wrench to measure the minimum allowable resistance of the posi assembly. required to turn one axle while the other is held in place. If it fails to turn at 250 LBS then is passes the the clutch test.

Rotational force must be centered on axle not lug nut.

(vintage mustang forum);
The Ford shop manuals say's that with one tire on the floor,and with a tool that centers the torque wrench with the axle on the raised side. The constant torque required to spin the tire should be at least 40 ft lbs. It also say's that the break away torque may be greater. Like 200-275.