The continuing saga...

smitty_64

May 27, 2006
Grady and John,

Continuing saga here. So back in December I took the, for lack of a better term, "the lean machine", back to my builder. He found a major vacuum leak from the throttle body adapter sitting tightly on the valve cover, and the plugs were completely fouled. So, he fixed the vacuum leak and plugs and still only got 313 HP out of it. NOPE!!! So, he went ahead and ordered a bigger cam, which is what most people on this site said was the problem in the first place. He hasn't installed that yet, but there is another problem he found that needs to be taken care of first. Just as a test he wanted to see exactly what type of fuel pressure my IAC, MAF, etc., was telling the car it needed to make up for. He put 80 lbs. of fuel pressure on the car, and it was still LEAN. The IAC, MAF, etc., was supposedly new. Something ain't right. He unhooked the computer that was installed and it did straighten out the idle problems, but hey all the work he is doing is for free so how could I bitch. Any how, that is where we stand now.

Just thought I would give an update. This thing'll be right when we finish though.

Greg

• Sponsors (?)

Well Greg ... anybody can make a mistake

However ... Things need to be ... Like they need to be :nice:
and
To ensure that happens ... Attention to detail has to be followed ;)

I got a hard time thinking you received that degree of attention
since your car was released to you in that condition :eek:

Now ... about the lean thing

While I don't care for the mechanical method of fuel enrichment
by using elevated fuel pressures .....
That little test should have made things fatter

So Yes ... I'm with You :nice:
Something smells rotten here :(

I suspect you still got one ... or ... more issues like the above
example hosing things up :bang:

Hey ... when you do a big upgrade like you just recently did ....
It can take a while to work out all the bugs and kinks before
things begin to settle down and you get an opportunity to
evaluate the fruits of the upgrade.

I submit to you Greg ...............
You're still suffering issues from the recent project :fuss:
and
You still don't have things ... Like they need to be

In no way would I spend another penny :nono:
and
I certainly would not allow :nono:
More major work done such as that camshaft change out
BEFORE
The source of the lean mixtures has been found

Hey .. A miss-matched cam ain't causing the lean mixtures
and
Even if you installed a PERFECTLY MATCHED CAM for your combo

That would not fix the too lean thing issue as well

Just a thought or two as I see it at this time Greg :)

Grady

I still have the stock fuel pump in it. Don't get me wrong he is fixing the lean thing before he ever moves on with anything else. And he is working for free because he isn't happy with the product he gave me either.

His plan is to figure out what is causing it to be the way it is, and then we'll try to get the horsepower. Luckily, this isn't my only car. We've been screwing with it since July of last year.

Looks like he has a good heart :nice:
and
Is trying to treat you fairly :)

but

You are a very patient man :eek:

NO WAY :nono: ... I could wait that long :bang:

To see the fruits of my plans and labor come be a reality :D

Keep us in the Loop about your progress :nice:

As soon as you get the mixture good to go .....
You are certainly gonna find some more ... Giddy Up & Go ;)

Grady

It very well could be running out of fuel with the stock pump...

my thinking about the stock pump is this. You add over 125hp of n2o and you should add a bigger pump even if the stock one is new or low miles, honestly even with 100hp shot of gas people just want to be safe. Even at the 318rwhp level that is more than 100hp over stock. Add into this the fact the stock pump is over 10yrs old or if anything its a replacement thats been there since you had it...and its a stock output unit.

An alum. headed custom camd' 30lb inj. having 347 stroker...just might need a bigger pump than stock. Yeah you can jack up the psi at the reg. and all even on a weak pump...and on a pump that is too small both will just run out of volume and that is what you need volume.

If all the vac. lines and leaks are accounted for and double checked...I would look at the fuel system. A bud of mine has a carbd' 347 and his fuel lines are the same inside dia. as a garden hose and a good size inline pump setup as he wanted to be 100% sure he had enough fuel.