The history of the fox body

mustangsally93

Sep 26, 2005
Omaha,NE
I wanted to know if you guys know some facts.
Like why it is called and fox body. Or what the difference from a 5.0 to a 5.0 H.O. What body types are there in the fox body? I.E cobra, L.X. How many fox body’s were sold in the whole time it was made, or a year. What was the less sold color and what was the most sold color? Just stay like that...

• Sponsors (?)

"Fox body" comes from the chassis. Ford dubbed it the Fox chassis. Fairmounts, LTDs, and more were built on the same chassis.

Difference between an HO and non HO is the heads (E7s), compression, and firing order.

mustangsally93 said:
So 1979 was the first of the fox bodys. Cool.

thanks Strype for the link.

NEGATIVE

1978 was the first of the fox body... Ford Fairmont was introduced as a fox body one year before the mustang versions to test the chassis.

Some say it was to make sure they didnt have another *pinto/mustang II* mistake with the Mustang.

poneypower89 said:
Some say it was to make sure they didnt have another *pinto/mustang II* mistake with the Mustang.

This statement is %100 wrong. The mustang II was not a mistake. People may feel it was today because they think its ugly but ford sold more mustang IIs from 74-78 than they did areo nose mustangs from 87-93. From 74-78 ford sold 1,107,718 mustang IIs, from 87-93 ford sold 1,011,307, so ford sold 96,411 more mustang IIs than areo nost mustangs. Yeah mustang IIs were the mistake :rolleyes: . Fact is the mustang II was the right car for the right time and without it there most likely wouldn't be a mustang today.

795.0pacecar said:
This statement is %100 wrong. The mustang II was not a mistake. People may feel it was today because they think its ugly but ford sold more mustang IIs from 74-78 than they did areo nose mustangs from 87-93. From 74-78 ford sold 1,107,718 mustang IIs, from 87-93 ford sold 1,011,307, so ford sold 96,411 more mustang IIs than areo nost mustangs. Yeah mustang IIs were the mistake :rolleyes: . Fact is the mustang II was the right car for the right time and without it there most likely wouldn't be a mustang today.

Very true, in fact by the end of the Foxbody platform, Ford was ready to cancel the entire Mustang line because sales slumped so badly by 1993. After Ford Announced it's decision, they received many angry letters from mustang loyalists to keep the Mustang alive. That was obviously enough to convince Ford, and so in 1994 the new platform (SN95) sold well and it hasn't looked back. So technically, the Foxbody was the "mistake" as it almost killed the Mustang.

Strype said:
Types:
Sedan LX (very few with t-tops and sunroofs)

Why do people call it the Sedan??? It is a coupe.

The definition of a coupe (In my collector car/hotrod knowledge) is that a Sedan is a car with its rear passenger windows the same or similar size as the front (driver) windows. They can be 2-doors or 4. the "2-door" is respelled "Tudor" most times.

eg a "Tudor" '36 Sedan

36ford2doorsedan1_small.jpg

vs a '36 Coupe
36dodge-5w-lft-side.jpg

So Clearly the LX Notchback would be considered a Coupe.....

p4290065.jpg

Wasn't the Fox originally based on a SAAB design of the same time. I have seen a few of them. A little longer but you could never tell at a glance. The first time I ever noticed was when I traveled all the way to Virginia to pick up a GT that I won on EBAY.

I was at the airport and looked down into a lot. If it wasn't for the SAAB logo all over the side, you'd swear it was fox. :shrug:

The term "Fox Platform" came from a directive issued by Lee Iacocca in the mid-70's. He decided Ford needed a platform that they could use to build many cars upon inexpensively, just like VW/Audi did with their Fox. The Fox spawned the Golf (Rabbit), Dasher and 100LS among others. Iacocca wanted to do the same thing and Fox was adopted as the internal designation for the platform that was used to build the Fairmont/Zephyr, LTD II/Marquis, Mustang/Capri, T-bird/Cougar and probably others that I can't remember right now.

It had nothing to do with SAAB.:rlaugh:

I_AM_CANADIAN said:
Very true, in fact by the end of the Foxbody platform, Ford was ready to cancel the entire Mustang line because sales slumped so badly by 1993. After Ford Announced it's decision, they received many angry letters from mustang loyalists to keep the Mustang alive. That was obviously enough to convince Ford, and so in 1994 the new platform (SN95) sold well and it hasn't looked back. So technically, the Foxbody was the "mistake" as it almost killed the Mustang.

Why do people call it the Sedan??? It is a coupe.

The definition of a coupe (In my collector car/hotrod knowledge) is that a Sedan is a car with its rear passenger windows the same or similar size as the front (driver) windows. They can be 2-doors or 4. the "2-door" is respelled "Tudor" most times.

eg a "Tudor" '36 Sedan

So Clearly the LX Notchback would be considered a Coupe.....

p4290065.jpg

A) I Agree 110% -it's a coupe. I just didn't want to confuse mustangsally93.

B) Listen...

The PROBE GT was the newest Mustang. In 87 or 89 there was a huge public outrage when the world found out the Mustang GT was gonna be a UFO looking 4 banger with a turbo. What do you think the SVO's were leading up to. Sooooo...

Next time you see a probe on the road thank your lucky stars for PEN AND PAPER!!! :rlaugh:

Strype said:
The PROBE GT was the newest Mustang. In 87 or 89 there was a huge public outrage when the world found out the Mustang GT was gonna be a UFO looking 4 banger with a turbo. What do you think the SVO's were leading up to. Sooooo...

Next time you see a probe on the road thank your lucky stars for PEN AND PAPER!!! :rlaugh:
This is true. In some ways I thank Ford for the Probe since it was one of the reasons I was able to talk my wife into letting me buy my 87. (we just got married and already had a new mini truck) "But Honey, it says right here that Ford is going to quit making real Mustangs..... and I need to get one before they are no longer made." It worked! :nice:

Strype said:
A)

Ah yes, I seemed to miss that when I read about that. I was too shocked to realize the mustangs were going to be replaced!!:D

And yes that would be a scary thought.... a mustang with no V8:nonono: .....