The mustang has rough idle and won't smooth out

Helltime

Apr 27, 2005
Des Moines
Me and my dad are working on an 83 mustang GLX 5.0 5speed and we can't get the idle to smooth out. We put a new edlebrock carb, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil and tuned the carb and the idle will not smooth out because it still has a miss. Would a small vaccum leak cause this. Any suggestions will be greatly appretiated. Thank You

• Sponsors (?)

Helltime said:
Me and my dad are working on an 83 mustang GLX 5.0 5speed and we can't get the idle to smooth out. We put a new edlebrock carb, plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil and tuned the carb and the idle will not smooth out because it still has a miss. Would a small vaccum leak cause this. Any suggestions will be greatly appretiated. Thank You

Is it a ramdom miss or a constant miss ? If it's a constant miss try to isolate which cylinder is missing and what is causing the miss. Take a rag and place it under / around the tailpipe and see if you get a flapping sound as if it's trying to suck the rag back into the tailpipe. That will at least tell you which side the miss is on.

Helltime said:
We think it is cylinder 8 because that doesn't seem to make any difference when the plug wire is clear off. We do have a vaccum leak but at 800rpm it is pulling 21pounds of vaccum even with the leak.

If it's a constant miss on one cylinder and it is getting a good spark it sounds like it's loosing compression in that cylinder. If fixing the vacuum leak doesn't clear up the miss, it might be time for a compression test.