The Reenmachine DOHC '67 Shelby Clone Convertible Progress

• Sponsors (?)

No kidding.

But hey; does this mean your business has jumped up, Pete?

It certainly doesn't hurt. I'd like to see the car getting driven into the ground as well, but every time it pops up on the radar like this it gets my name out there a little bit more. I'm bound and determined to stay small as well, so I only need one or maybe two customers at a time for car builds, which isn't too hard to maintain. The other benefit to the publicity is that it's great for parts sales, which is the bread and butter. It's at the point where I'm just about to launch a revamped e-commerce site with a lot more stuff on there.

Just an update on the sale of the car:

Apparently they ended the auction early because they made a deal via other channels for somewhere in the low 6 figure range. The car may be headed out here to the west coast, which I'd certainly like. It would be nice to be able to see it again and handle the routine maintenance, upgrades, etc. We'll see, and I'll keep you all posted!

Same car isnt it....

When I was trying to buy my car on ebay, I had HELL, 3 almost buys in a row went to crap, then the last one I drove 200 miles to pay the guy cash, and the title didnt match the vin number on the car (at which time the sellers price dropped $5000 in an instant).

Wasnt fun at all.

i like this header on the craigslist page...

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info

:rlaugh:

hey Pete, maybe you should call this guy and see if you can buy the car back....:D

Got a reply:

Scammer said:
Hello,
I have received your email regarding my Ford Mustang.
I will let it go for USD 12000. The car is in Los Angeles the price includes shipping and insurance to your address. I will send you all the
paperwork with the trailer at once. The shipping will take almost a week depending of your location.
I want to close it through an safe service recomanded by eBay who will hold the payment until you will receive, inspect
and agree with the merchandise.
I will wait for your email to let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about the purchase.
Please email me as soon as possible.

Since I'm so close to Los Angeles I'm going to ask him if I can go see the car :)

I guess posting in Indanapolis he thought it was safe to say it was in LA. Not that he's in Indy -- nobody in the states would list the price as "USD 12000".

OK, so check this out. I emailed the guy the following (used my middle name):

me said:
Hi Max-
I am definitely interested in learning more about how to purchase the car. Please let me know what I need to do!
-Jason

And he replied:

scammer said:
Hello,
I have contacted eBay regarding our deal, they will send you the details of
"how to purchase the item" in a short time. email me as soon as you'll hear from
them so I'll know we are on the right way.

Then I received this bogus purchase agreement email from "eBay International Trading" which obviously isn't a real eBay company. It says to reply with my full address, etc. and that there is a $3k deposit. The guy has his name and address on there (probably not real, but hey, maybe he's extra stupid) and the funny thing is it's literally 4 blocks from my old apartment in L.A. The other funny thing is that when you reply to the email from "eBay" it's a gmail address. Guess times are tough over at eBay. :rolleyes:

Now is when I'm going to ask if I can come buy the car in person. :D

Pete, I'd rather give my money to you rather than this guy, so if you can build another vert just for me, I'll give you $12k rather than $13k to the genius running the add. Sound fair??? :D :D :D

Chris

So here's his next reply from when I asked to see the car in person:
scammer said:
I am on the move at the moment on business for several weeks in Canada and relatively badly to reach.

Of course. So I wrote:

me said:
Max-
Is there someone else who can show me the car? I assume that since the transporter could get it somehow that someone must be able to access it. I have the money and I'm excited about the car -- I just want to see it.

Thanks.

To which I have received no reply and probably never will. In the meantime I get this one from his "eBay International Trading":

fake eBay said:
Dear customer,

My name is Lori Penner and I am from the customer support department. I will help you to close the transaction in a quick and safe way.

We will insure you 100%.

According to our Policy Transaction Agreement /Sec.5, Al.32, the transfer must be available before instructing the seller to start the the delivery process.

The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances.eBay International Trading security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally, drawing on both internal assessments and the support of government agencies.

In order to proceed with the transaction please reply with your name and address for shipping.

Sincerely,
eBay Customer Support

He's really trying. :D I'm sure he now knows that it isn't going to go anywhere, but I hope he got excited for a while at least. Sad thing is, people fall for this kind of thing all the time. I hate to think that the car I built is being used indirectly to defraud people, but I guess if you're gullible enough to fall for it that's your problem.

The name he used is Max Karren. I won't post the street address since it's probably just some innocent person. The email addresses used were:

[email protected]
and
[email protected]

I'd just hate for some devious character to use those for something...:p :p :p