The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

Well then. Leg day is back on the menu boys!

Maybe not. Sorry I cannot let this go just yet. lol

I am not certain but it looks like a 2016 to 2019 Prius has electric power brakes. It is about the size of a hydroboost slave and appears to be an all in one unit. The electronics hang off to the drivers side so it appears it may fit. I am finding them for between $100 to $700. Used should be fine. I imagine they are fairly robust.

Will take some more research but if it's not computer controlled it appears to be an option. Even if it uses higher voltages a water proof buck converter will probably be okay with a decent alternator. A capacitor may be enough to overcome voltage surges on a stock alternator since the motor doesn't run constantly. An arduino may even be an option for control if it needs a computer.
I just pulled the trigger on a late-model Prius booster/master assembly for $61.10 shipped, so we'll see if it can be made to fit.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I realize you've grabbed a Prius unit, but what about something like this? It just popped up in my Amazon suggestions since I was looking at that kind of stuff the other day. But the way I see it with this unit, you might have to cut into your firewall a little and recess the mount. I'm sure the same could be done with a stocker, but it looks like one of these wouldn't be so deep. And with the backside in a conical shape, you may not have to cut as big a hole as you would a stocker. :shrug:

Amazon product ASIN B01M636629View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M636629/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bwrtFb68RRWND

I realize you've grabbed a Prius unit, but what about something like this? It just popped up in my Amazon suggestions since I was looking at that kind of stuff the other day. But the way I see it with this unit, you might have to cut into your firewall a little and recess the mount. I'm sure the same could be done with a stocker, but it looks like one of these wouldn't be so deep. And with the backside in a conical shape, you may not have to cut as big a hole as you would a stocker. :shrug:

Amazon product ASIN B01M636629View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M636629/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bwrtFb68RRWND
11" in diameter? No way that's clearing, even with a recess.

I was looking at that pic you shared and thinking that the depth would actually place the booster behind the valve cover. If that would be the case it might fit...? :shrug:

Or this one? Same idea, thin enough to mount behind the valve cover? I did a quick search to see if I could find dimensions but had no luck. Again, just a thought if you can't make the Prius stuff work like you want.

Amazon product ASIN B082F7YRBLView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082F7YRBL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QLrtFb04SGNH5
Those are junk, I've replaced several on those SUVs.

If I can make the Prius unit fit, it'll work. The wiring is a simple matter of finding the (+) and (-) for the booster circuit, and if it's not designed for continuous power, a simple relay with it's trigger terminal piggybacked to the stoplight switch will allow it to power on and off with the brake pedal.

@CarMichael Angelo Should come see what other Prius :poo: he can put on his car! :rlaugh:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=193310544834
I mean, look at the little guy. Sure he's not the prettiest thing, but look at how tiny it is, and it's already designed for four-wheel-discs, and it integrates virtually everything into one unit... It just might work. Looks a lot better than a hydroboost unit too!

Last edited:
171416_BrakeFluidCircuitDiagram.png

The top 2/3 of the picture is what all is included in the Prius booster/master assembly I bought. I need to look at the electrical side of things too, so I can see just what connections I do and don't need to make. I know this unit's controller has a fail-safe mode to provide a certain amount of assist, just like the electric power steering in the Prius (in fact, that's how Mike and so many others use that system, by intentionally putting it into fail-safe mode so that it can run without using CAN-BUS data from other systems), and that may be adequate (or more than), but there's also the remote possibility of getting it to work at full power if I can figure out what I need to do to convince it that it is in a Prius with no faults.

There's also two other possibilities:

1. I can do as mentioned before, and just provide power straight to the booster pump either continuously or via a relay.

2. The damned thing won't work for me at all.

I will probably end up needing to mount this thing and connect it to the brake system just to test it... Or go grab a couple of junkyard brake parts and use a battery to tinker with it on the workbench at the shop.

This is getting interesting...

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Ah... I missed that part.
That's okay, until I opened the hood on the 4Runner today out of boredom at work it never occured to me that my 4Runner uses an electric brake booster. The Prius unit is much narrower (and much longer, but that shouldn't be a big issue). It showed up today, it looks good, I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow and look up wiring and pinout info on Alldata to see if I can't figure out what makes that little monster tick.

My EGR block-off plate for the Lincoln intake also arrived today, I sent a PM to Mike about those injectors he's had for sale in the classifieds, waiting to hear back, and I have a junkyard trip planned for a list of parts including the valve covers, COPs, oil pan and pickup tube, alternator, and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Scare me with that pic why don't ya. First thought was that ain't gonna fit. Glad to read further and see it's not the Prius one. Also happy to see they are doing the same basic design on other models. Implies it's more mainstream than I thought.

Scare me with that pic why don't ya. First thought was that ain't gonna fit. Glad to read further and see it's not the Prius one. Also happy to see they are doing the same basic design on other models. Implies it's more mainstream than I thought.
I like the 4Runner unit more, because it incorporates the ABS, booster, and master all into one compact and robust assembly, but the Prius one should be better for retrofitting into the II precisely because it omits the ABS.

Back to square one on brakes.

I talked to a Toyota master tech friend of mine for a bit today about the crazy idea of using the Prius master. He was able to explain why it wouldn't work.

Manual swap!

• Dislike
  • Sad