Brakes The Ultimate 4-lug/5-lug Brake Conversion/upgrade Thread

They are better than fox calipers, but there are better options. I’d snag a set of 99-04 GT/v6 calipers off a different car after you get the spindles off the 94-95

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

They are still out there.... Pulled these out this am from a 95.. $80 out the door......
EDIT.. I looked at my final bill and it was around $70 total......

Attachments

• DSCF0725.JPG
    DSCF0725.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They are better than fox calipers, but there are better options. I’d snag a set of 99-04 GT/v6 calipers off a different car after you get the spindles off the 94-95
so tell me about these GT V6 calipers?? I have been looking online and I find a two piston caliper but I do not find anything specific Gt/V6.... What is better about this set up?? TY

so tell me about these GT V6 calipers?? I have been looking online and I find a two piston caliper but I do not find anything specific Gt/V6.... What is better about this set up?? TY
They were standard on the Gt and v6. It’s basically the step in between stock and the cobra brakes, in terms of upgrading our foxes.

Find any 99-04 V6 or GT at the wrecking yard and you’ll find them. They fit the smaller 10.9” rotor and look like this

cobra is the red caliper and GT/v6 is the natural finish csliper. Ignore the fact they are sitting on this rotor. The Gt/v6 caliper won’t work with 13” rotor

25267C60-6BDB-4487-A151-64DCEC622FAC.jpeg

keep in mind, when these calipers sit a long time the Pistons can somewhat seize up. So make sure you test the Pistons in the yard. Press them in and see if they move easy.

Find any 99-04 V6 or GT at the wrecking yard and you’ll find them. They fit the smaller 10.9” rotor and look like this

cobra is the red caliper and GT/v6 is the natural finish csliper. Ignore the fact they are sitting on this rotor. The Gt/v6 caliper won’t work with 13” rotor

25267C60-6BDB-4487-A151-64DCEC622FAC.jpeg

keep in mind, when these calipers sit a long time the Pistons can somewhat seize up. So make sure you test the Pistons in the yard. Press them in and see if they move easy.
Thanks for the pic... So these 99-04 GT brakes take a 10.9" rotor.. Are the base rotors the same size and are the base calipers two piston also?? Forgive me for over thinking this....

94-04 GT's and V6's have the exact same brakes front to rear year to year. A 1999 GT will have the same spindles, same dust shields, same calipers, same brake lines, same rotors, etc.

94-04 GT's and V6's have the exact same brakes front to rear year to year. A 1999 GT will have the same spindles, same dust shields, same calipers, same brake lines, same rotors, etc.
You mean 99-04 correct?? Ok I got it now... V6 OR a GT..... What about a NON GT V8?? Were any 4 cylinders built those years??

Well, for the calipers you are seeking, they come on the 99-04's. But my statement about all 94-04 GT and V6 sharing the same brakes applies within the same year. The 94-98 GT/V6 share the single piston 66mm caliper, and the 99-04's share the same 2-piston 44.5mm caliper.

All non-GT V8's use the cobra brake setup. Really, this is 98% cobras and the '01 Bullitt and '03-04 Mach 1. Those use the Cobra brakes with 13" front rotors and 11.65" rotors. These would certainly be a better brake setup, but I doubt you wil find one in a boneyard, especially with the brakes intact. However, the spindles are the same between the cobra and the V6. In other words, a 1999 Cobra and a 1999 V6 share the same spindles/hubs and dust shields.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Well, for the calipers you are seeking, they come on the 99-04's. But my statement about all 94-04 GT and V6 sharing the same brakes applies. The 94-98 GT/V6 share the single piston 66mm caliper, and the 99-04's share the same 2-piston 44.5mm caliper.

All non-GT V8's use the cobra brake setup. Really, this is 98% cobras and the '01 Bullitt and '03-04 Mach 1. Those use the Cobra brakes with 13" front rotors and 11.65" rotors. These would certainly be a better brake setup, but I doubt you wil find one in a boneyard, especially with the brakes intact. However, the spindles are the same between the cobra and the V6. In other words, a 1999 Cobra and a 1999 V6 share the same spindles/hubs and dust shields.
Thanks for clarifying all of that... I am new to these cars and I want to make sure I get the right stuff..... I appreciate your patience with me..

For $35 each for 94 spindles Id be scooping up as many as I could. Selling for $200-300/pair on eBay

I checked my local LKQ, and they list spindles with hubs as $26.50 plus a $8 core charge. I think I'll be checking their site a little more often. No not for the flip, just if other foxes find their way into my garage over the years to come.

Sooo, a question about the 'caged" nuts that hold the hub to the spindle.... I read where those need to be replaced each time?? is this correct?

I was trying to find a set of these " caged nuts" and all of the pictures with this part does not look like what I took off these spindles?? Seems to be a metal cage around it and the replacement nuts do not have them??

Just like with nylock nuts, the locking mechanism will slowly over time loose the friction that creates the lock. The caged nut does a similar locking function. But really when you are putting well over 100 ft lbs of torque to tighten, I don't think the locking function is really needed. If worried, re-torque it (check it) every couple months.