Brakes The Ultimate 4-lug/5-lug Brake Conversion/upgrade Thread

The caged nuts are obsolete. Ford uses a different nut now, shown above, that has loctite on the inside.

fords official policy (at least from what I’ve seen) in all their newer vehicle service manuals is that ALL the hardware is one time use now, and must be discarded.

DD704BB8-1DCA-4BF9-B6CA-8FC475074AEC.png

• Sponsors (?)

Alright everyone, I have a question. I have most of the parts I need to convert my '89 GT to five-lug/all disc. I have '95 GT spindles(new hubs, dustshields, and caps), 13" Cobra front rotors, and '02 GT rear disc setup with NRC brackets. I'm trying to figure out what front calipers to use and what MC/Booster combo would be the best match. I'm having a really hard time trying to find '03-'04 Cobra front calipers BUT I can get ahold of '97 Cobra front calipers. Would those work ok?

As for the car itself. It has a fiberglass hood, tubular k-member and coil overs, H/C/I with an Anderson N41 cam and will spend the vast majority of it's time on 17x4.5 front runners and 15x8's on the back with 275/50R15 tires. Later on I may pick up some "normal" street wheels. Thanks in advance everyone!

All 99-04 cobra, mach calipers are the same. I’m actually surprised you are having a hard time finding them as they are the most common casting these days given the earlier cobra caliper were discontinued earlier.

94-98 are 38mm x 2 piston.
99-04 are 40.5mm x 2 piston

If you get the 94-98 version, use a 94-95 cobra 15/16” MC and 93 cobra boooster or 94-95 booster

If you get the 99+ version, run a 1993 cobra master cylinder and the same boosters listed above .

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
So I need some help with my setup.

I'm running North Race Cars Big Brake kit up front with 94-95 Spindles. I'm running LMRs 17x8 Pony wheels, offset 19mm backspacing 5.25". The front wheels seem to stick out a lot further then I expected. Any idea of how to narrow the width a little? Are there different 13" rotors that may work?

For the rear, I have cobra rear brakes from North Race Cars and I have Ranger axles. I can't find a solid measurement on length but I think they may be a hair longer then Fox length axles. My rear tires rub the fender and its been rolled. I'll be tackling the Detroit Speed mini tub kit next month and wanted to see if there are other options along with fox length axles. Does anyone know the length difference between the Ranger and Fox axles?

FRONT
20220417_173927.jpg

REAR
20220417_153117.jpg

20220417_153117.jpg

Attachments

• 20220417_153117.jpg
    20220417_153117.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 57
The SN95 wheels that are 17x8 use a 5.72”
Backspacing. So that’s about a 1/2” difference than the sn95 17x8s would pull in.

Ranger axles are the same lenght as fox axles. Only difference is the 5th lug. If they were longer the drum would not be located properly over the shoes.

Not a whole lot of options to pull your wheels in to be honest.

• Useful
The SN95 wheels that are 17x8 use a 5.72”
Backspacing. So that’s about a 1/2” difference than the sn95 17x8s would pull in.

Ranger axles are the same lenght as fox axles. Only difference is the 5th lug. If they were longer the drum would not be located properly over the shoes.

Not a whole lot of options to pull your wheels in to be honest.
Nice thanks for the info. I was told Rangers were about 1/16" longer which is very very small. I have seen cars with my same rear wheel setup and theirs is tucked in a but more... I guess that's the world of modding...

It's the wheel offset that isn't correct for a 5 lug swapped fox. A different ( narrower ) tire size will bring the tire in more but they'd have the stretched look and I wouldn't advise it.

What tires are you running front and rear?

If you can, what is the dimension from the axle face to North Racing axle bracket?

IMG_1247.JPG

This is a 16x8, 0 or 8mm offset with a 245/50/16 tire using fox length control arms and 96-04 spindle

IMG_1335.JPG

Same rim and offset with a 255/50/16 tire and my OEM 4 lug axle.

I think you may have an SN95 axle in the rear.

Nice thanks for the info. I was told Rangers were about 1/16" longer which is very very small. I have seen cars with my same rear wheel setup and theirs is tucked in a but more... I guess that's the world of modding...

Ranger axle lenght is 29 5/32
Fox axle lenght is 29 3/16

That’s a difference is 0.027” it’s negligible.

So it looks like the Ranger axles vary depending on year. They were put on the car in the late 90s so could be one of the two different sizes.
Ranger axle lenght is 29 5/32
Fox axle lenght is 29 3/16

That’s a difference is 0.027” it’s negligible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220419-155919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-155919_Chrome.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 56
So it looks like the Ranger axles vary depending on year. They were put on the car in the late 90s so could be one of the two different sizes.

The only ranger axles recommended to be used, and the ones included in the ford racing 5-lug drum kit (discontinued) were the 83-92 axles, and only the LH side ( or RH ford Aerostar axle) In 1993 the Ranger axle grew 1” per side. Your going to notice a significant gap between drum and backing plate with 93+ axles.

The correct axle shaft has the part number E3TZ-4234-C and was what came in the Ford M-1126-A kit.

If you are unsure on what axle you have, pull the wheel and look at the drum gap, or perhaps even pull and measure and axle

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
The only ranger axles recommended to be used, and the ones included in the ford racing 5-lug drum kit (discontinued) were the 83-92 axles, and only the LH side ( or RH ford Aerostar axle) In 1993 the Ranger axle grew 1” per side. Your going to notice a significant gap between drum and backing plate with 93+ axles.

The correct axle shaft has the part number E3TZ-4234-C and was what came in the Ford M-1126-A kit.

If you are unsure on what axle you have, pull the wheel and look at the drum gap, or perhaps even pull and measure and axle
I will have to take a look.

Converting over to 5 lug and wondering if the original 83 spindles and rotors, and calipers are even worth keeping??
Should I toss them??
Is the 7.5" rear end something someone could use??

Converting over to 5 lug and wondering if the original 83 spindles and rotors, and calipers are even worth keeping??
Should I toss them??
Is the 7.5" rear end something someone could use??
Don't be a dummy like me and toss Fox parts. :nonono:
Somebody will buy them on eBay. Or need them on here!