The Use Of Fel-pro Loc-wire Gaskets.

After 23 years of babying and some all out blasts, the head gaskets finally went. 10 lbs of centrifugal boost, Edelbrock aluminum heads and a stock bottom end. When I bought the heads in 93 (Performer 5.0), the newest thing was getting your heads cut for the loc wire gaskets. Not wanting to blow the gaskets, had them done by a very reputable Ford specific head shop here in NJ. Car was/is mainly a show/cruise car. I don't beat it up. I just wanted to give a synopsis of what car is all about before my question. Has anybody else had issues with these gaskets? The head shop I used this time had nothing but bad experiences with them. I got heads rebuilt, (20K) mileage on them. He did a 5 angle valve job, reshimmed springs for added pressure on the intake side and milled groove out of heads. The head gaskets came off in one piece and showed no sign of the wire being there, (flattened). Did it get squashed? I installed them, so I remember them having it. I understand technology has improved immensely sinse 1993, but am wondering if I'm going to have any issues with new gaskets. Head shop is supplying gaskets, he said they'll work fine. BTW, I used ARP studs for the heads originally. I know this is wordy, but felt the best answers would come from the most info. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

After 23 years of babying and some all out blasts, the head gaskets finally went. 10 lbs of centrifugal boost, Edelbrock aluminum heads and a stock bottom end. When I bought the heads in 93 (Performer 5.0), the newest thing was getting your heads cut for the loc wire gaskets. Not wanting to blow the gaskets, had them done by a very reputable Ford specific head shop here in NJ. Car was/is mainly a show/cruise car. I don't beat it up. I just wanted to give a synopsis of what car is all about before my question. Has anybody else had issues with these gaskets? The head shop I used this time had nothing but bad experiences with them. I got heads rebuilt, (20K) mileage on them. He did a 5 angle valve job, reshimmed springs for added pressure on the intake side and milled groove out of heads. The head gaskets came off in one piece and showed no sign of the wire being there, (flattened). Did it get squashed? I installed them, so I remember them having it. I understand technology has improved immensely sinse 1993, but am wondering if I'm going to have any issues with new gaskets. Head shop is supplying gaskets, he said they'll work fine. BTW, I used ARP studs for the heads originally. I know this is wordy, but felt the best answers would come from the most info. Thanks in advance.

I happened to work for Fel-Pro's main competitor (Victor Manufacturing & Gasket Co., in Chicago), when we developed the first soft-iron fire-ring for diesel service. In fact, I hand-made the first 50 or so we tested. So, the idea of separate crushable metal rings to seal combustion pressure is not a new one. Fel-Pro likely incorporated the idea in a different way, requiring grooving of the heads. You mentioned seeing the rings; that means they were separate from the gasket body, which seals oil and coolant. Our diesel gaskets were patented. The rings were enclosed within the body's cylinder opening, retained by a very thin folded over steel lip.

Aluminum works against this type of crushable firing ring, but I can't deny you had success with them. Much more than this, I can't tell you. imp

They are honestly kind of a rip, and that's why I never used them. Have a permanent lock wire O-ring installed in the receiver groove on the heads, and then you can run a standard head gasket with the same sealing power. You can also switch to copper gaskets with an O-ringed head later if you reach that kind of combustion pressure. I'm still running $14 off the shelf Fel-pro gaskets because I have blown one gasket in 18 years.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
The groove in the head is now gone. Machine shop removed them when they decked the heads. What I think I'm really after is a recommendation on a head gasket to use. I will reuse the ARP studs. I'm not sure what gaskets the machine shop said he'll supply. Would like to know what some of you guys have been using with success. No racing with this car, just a dependable weekend cruiser.