Theft light Stays on constantly

I have a 2003 Ford mustang with a 3.8L V6. The theft light stays on constantly, while either the car is off and the key is out, or running. I've tried the method of looking for codes in the dash. I get the image "dt3842" and then one more push of the odometer button it reads "dtc NONE". I also have a air bag light that flashes when ever it feels like it. Not sure if they are linked in some sort of way?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2003 Ford mustang with a 3.8L V6. The theft light stays on constantly, while either the car is off and the key is out, or running. I've tried the method of looking for codes in the dash. I get the image "dt3842" and then one more push of the odometer button it reads "dtc NONE". I also have a air bag light that flashes when ever it feels like it. Not sure if they are linked in some sort of way?

Does this car start and run? Or is this a crank with no start?

If this car does start and run, would you like an educated guess? How about a bad ignition switch? There are multiple gangs inside the switch and what happens sometimes is one of the gangs remains "ON" while others are "OFF".

There are tests that can be done to specific fuses to narrow down and/or confirm the diagnosis.

For example, with the key off, test for power in/out of fuse F2.5, and F2.34, If there is key off power in either fuse, the likely cause is a bad ignition switch.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:

1996+ Crank with no start check list

Last edited:
Does this car start and run? Or is this a crank with no start?

If this car does start and run, would you like an educated guess? How about a bad ignition switch? There are multiple gangs inside the switch and what happens sometimes is one of the gangs remains "ON" while others are "OFF".

There are tests that can be done to specific fuses to narrow down and/or confirm the diagnosis.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
Yes, its starts and runs like normal

Hey guys!
I am also having the same exact problem on my 1999 GT.

Some days my THEFT light stays on, but some days it stays off. It's seemingly random, but the car always starts. Sometimes the light goes away while I'm driving, but usually it either stays on or stays off.

I have tried disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes. The light goes away, but eventually returns. That won't solve it
I have also tried turning the key to Accessory 8 times (as if you were going to program a new key fob). Same story

Some forums say that the THEFT light stays on when the PATS system has failed to engage. that makes sense to me, but I'm not an electrician.
I've also read that the THEFT light stays on when either your clicker (key fob) battery is dead, or your actual car battery is dead.

My plan is to change the key fob battery, and the car battery itself (also terminals, because it could just be a bad connection).
I've also bought a replacement Key Fob in case it is an issue with the one I have currently (although I highly doubt that)
I'm also going to have the mechanic change the ignition switch like you guys are discussing here

If one or a combination of all of these things fixes the problem I will come back and let you guys know.

This doesn't seem to be a super common problem, but there is literally not a single forum on the internet that tells you definitively how to fix this issue.

Let me know if you guys have any luck!

Okay, so after some trial and error I think that the Key Fob Battery and The actual Car Battery are not the issue.

Apparently, the chip inside of Ford Keys tends to go bad after 15-20 years or so. It's the same story with the actual transceiver unit inside of the steering column. (It looks like a black plastic ring with a wire attached to it, and it surrounds the actual ignition cylinder).

I'm going to the dealer to have them make brand new keys and also change out that transceiver unit.
If you change the transceiver you HAVE to reprogram the keys btw.