Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

• Sponsors (?)

Got a little done last night. I'm not going to finish installing the control arms until I get the torque boxes reinforced. I did finish cleaning up the wheel-well.

20191114_221446.jpg

And I got the front spring off of one side. I'll get the other one tonight and spend some time clean everything up as I put it back together.

20191114_221427.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't get to do anything to the car last night. Got caught up doing other stuff. I don't get things done fast but I guess I'm steady. I mess with this thing almost every night that I am home. Doing one thing or another. It makes me happy. One of these days I'll drive it more than I work on it... maybe... we'll see.

I know it needs um and I'm under the car cleaning everything up so what the hell now is as good a time as any. Just ordered a set of MM full length subframe connectors as well as a set of upper and lower torque box reinforcements. Once that is on the car and all the little cracks are welded up it should be pretty solid for whatever it's future holds!
I remember installing my sub frame connectors on 89 GT well over 20 years ago biggest difference of any suspension mod I did with the car.
Transformed it from a mushy flexing mess to something that inspired spirited driving.
I will never forget the first time I pulled into a driveway sidewalk dip and felt the whole car move when the right front tire hit the dip instead of everything flexing to accommodate it :)
definitely a good move installing full length sub frames.
Reading this thread has inspired me to go out and spend a few hours on my project now lol.
Great steady progression!

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user
So the wife and I are driving down a country road yesterday afternoon and a fox body drives by. I'm in the middle of saying something and quickly stop and say "hey look! A Fox body!". She just looks at me and laughs saying "you know you have Mustang tourettes, right".

• Haha
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Time for round two! I got the drivers side disassembled last night. Now I've just got to clean everything and paint it.
20191118_222427.jpg

On a side note. The front bumper on my car is all kinds of a bad fit. It sits tight against the bottom of one headlight and has a gap under the other one. Also its split, like it was cut, between the bottom of the nose and where it goes behind the side marker. The car doesn't appear to have been in a wreck I'm just curious if you guys think this is due to bad fitment and cheap parts or if the problem is something worse. Way down on the priority list is to buy a new front bumper cover and paint.

20191118_214230.jpg
20191118_214241.jpg
20191118_214258.jpg
20191118_214303.jpg

That's a Stalker front bumper. Is yours fiberglass or the yellow polyurethane like an original bumper ? The fitment sucked on the fiberglass ones. Check the bumper supports while under the car.

The bumper on the drivers side should be up and on top of the header panel behind it and under that light. I've seen bumpers crack below the markers on race cars with lots of cam and no front bumper support. There should be braces that go from the core support to the fender where the bumper meets.

You would think. The guy I bought it from gave me the bumper core and the factory wing. I think he said he installed the aftermarket headlights. I know he had the front bumper and wing installed, but I dont know who fit them. They are a slightly different color than the rest of the car.

Maybe I should start a thread about two tone cars and bad paint jobs.... :chin

This isn't a pressing issue for me at the moment. I just thought if someone knew what I was missing I could start looking for replacement parts. I think I would like to put a Cobra front bumper on it one day. I defiantly want to put different headlights on it. I'd like to get a hold of a set of OEM headlights even if they were in need of restoration. I know they can be had. I just haven't been looking for them.