Progress Thread Therapy Car-- Freshening Up the Lower Intake

When it came off it wasn't a big deal. Now that it has been off the hanger support that goes on the transmission tailshaft is being a total PITA.

Did you have bolts snugged down on any of the adjacent or connected parts?

I see this drivetrain bind a [lot]. Not every time but pretty often, it's some other [thing] that's causing things to be a PITA and bind.

I may be preaching to the choir but it's what I was thinking as I read. Leave everything loose until you get it all back into place.

I love zip ties. Yellow ones are for bolts that I think I might forget about if I don't tighten them now.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I use high temperature red gasket maker at all my exhaust connections now. It really helps everything seal up and isn't that hard to get apart when you need to. It only takes about a 1/4 inch bead around the connection points. When you do the new exhaust its worth it.

The suspension will settle more when you drive it. It looks high now but the springs will settle down.

This is one of my favorite threads now. Good work man.

I know what you are saying and agree. Everything was loose except for the bolts holding the crossmember in place. Loosening those would not have let anything move as its wedged in place.

The rubber pieces that the hangers slide into were dried and had shrunk to the point that they came out of the fixture. I ended up taking them out and I had to drive them onto the hanger even after I lubed them up. I was then trying to get the h pipe in place and the rubber pieces to go into the hanger.

I ended up taking the hanger down and putting it into place. Then took off the crossmember and put it over the h pipe. Removed the outboard stud on the right header. Lifter the whole thing in place while balancing the h in the h pipe on my head.

There might have been an easier way of doing it but that worked for me! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I have exhaust on the car again!
20200211_220619.jpg

20200211_220605.jpg

Now dont get the wrong idea when you see those open mufflers pointed right at the diff. This is operation get it to the muffler shop/ get it off my freaking lift so I can change the oil in my other cars! The plan is when I get the shop to weld in the subframe connectors I'm going to let them add the extra bit of exhaust pipe and fix that as well. Even that will be a temporary fix as I plan to replace the whole setup in the next year or so.

I was looking at the spots of rust on the floor pan again last night. You guys give me your opinions, but I think I'm going to need to remove the seat bracket reinforcement to properly fix this spot. I've mentioned it in this thread already.

20200211_222413.jpg

I dont know what was going on on the passenger side of this car, but this is the only area that I am aware of that has any rust in it. Maybe dude spilled lots of sodas over there. :shrug:

As the title suggest at this moment I ran into an "issue" last night. Back in November or whenever I brought the car in to start all the suspension work I drained the oil. The car sat for years before I got it, so I had changed the oil as soon as I could. Then I think I changed it one more time. Maybe not, but I figured it would be a good idea to change it since I've put a few miles on it. Well it has been sitting there with no oil in it since I drained it. I'm getting close to being able to get it off the rack. I got to thinking, "you better put oil in this thing before you forget and crank it up with no oil in it". So I put oil in it. Only problem is the oil I have is some Royal Purple that a friend of mine gave me and its in a 5 gallon jug. I over filled it. No big deal. Just drain some out. That was a few days ago. Last night I decided to pull some oil out. This is new oil so no need to just waste it. I got a jug and cracked the drain plug. And then it happened. Something came out..... It wasn't oil....

20200213_204119.jpg

A nice little stream of antifreeze started coming out. Not a lot. Maybe an ounce, two at most.

20200213_204216.jpg

Thing is there should be 0 ounces of this stuff in the oil. Of course this isn't what I was hoping to find last night, but it isn't necessarily the end of the world.

Where do you guys suggest that I start first? The car has just been sitting there. No pressure on the system, so the water is leaking is under atmospheric conditions. I haven't removed the intake or heads since I got this car. The only thing I've done is pull the timing chain cover and oil pan. Intake or head gasket maybe? I'd like to have a plan before I just start pulling it apart. Also, do you guys think I would hurt anything if I started it up to get it off the lift? Before I tear into this I'd like to get it off the lift so that I can change the oil in the wife's car. Just way easier and the lift is right freaking there!

Anyway, what do you guys think?

There is a high probably that the antifreeze is from the timing cover change. The water jackets that go to the water pump go through the timing cover, and when the timing cover is removed goes into the oil pan below it. I would replace the oil and put new in it, drive it for a little bit not pushing it hard and change the oil again to see if it comes out milky (antifreeze and oil mixture).

• PlusOne
Reactions: 1 users
I tend to agree with everyone else. Water/antifreeze weigh more than the oil, so I'm betting the coolant was just chilling in the pan and was forced to the lowest point by the oil once you filled it.

Maybe?

All good advice. I'm not going to go crazy and start pulling things apart. I'm going to check the bolts on the timing chain cover and make sure everything is still tight. Then take the advice given and try putting some miles on it. After that if I find water in the oil I'll start digging deeper. I'm defiantly putting some cheap oil in it knowing it wont be in there very long.

This would confirm or deny your suspicion:

I think I can rent something like that at the parts store.

Well I guess I'm glad I found this now and not after it messed up something. I've got all the leaks! I put pressure on the system and it didnt take long for it to start leaking down. I lifted it back up and then...

20200216_205909.jpg

20200216_210114.jpg

I had drained the oil so this shouldn't be happening.

20200216_210153.jpg

This the top of the timing chain cover.

20200216_210635.jpg

I've got some work to do.

Attachments

• 20200216_183829.jpg
    20200216_183829.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 100
Here lately it seems like I can only get out and work on the car maybe 30 minutes a day if I'm lucky. I'm making very slow progress, but I am getting a little done. I drained the coolant the other night. It's impossible to drain my radiator without taking a bath and getting coolant everywhere, but I was able to catch most of it to reuse. It barely has any miles on it. If you guys think I should just change it feel free to chime in.

Here is where we are right now.

20200220_223638.jpg

You can clearly see behind the water pump coolant is pooling on top of the timing chain cover.

20200220_223700.jpg

What did surprise me was the thermostat housing.

20200220_223716.jpg

That thing is new as of a little over a year ago. I think. I changed it out, but don't remember exactly when. No matter what it barely has any miles on it. I got it from Rock Auto I believe. I also remember using distilled water to fill the system. At this point I'm debating on ordering a new one and just biting the bullet, paying extra and getting an aluminum one. What do you guys think?