There's a constant clicking sound coming from my engine, what is it? HELP??

FastGT50Stang

Sep 19, 2005
Chicago
I have been listening to this "clicking" sound for the past 2 months now, and i don't have a good idea to where it's coming from, i know it's from the engine, is is the lifters?

Has anyone had this clicking coming from their 5.0L stang, and if you have, can you help me out? :shrug:

Every time i press on the gas, the clicking then begins...and when i left of the gas...the clicking seems to go away...?

• Sponsors (?)

DAMN...looks like i'm going to have probably change 'em out which will probably lead to other problemsa and s#*t,

How much do you think it'll cost me to get rid of that sound, and is it safe to keep driving around or no?

I was thinkin' about just dropin' in a 331 block assembled with cranshaft, camshaft, heads, pistons, connecting rods and everything from CoastHigh Performance Inc.

Thanks,

Yea,i heard about this pcv valve on Foxes, should i replace it or what? BEcause i know part of it is from an exhaust leak cuz i can see it ont the headers; from all the leaking, the headers are like black.

MahFiVeOh said:
Exhaust leak maybe?
I just had one of the cats go bad on this new H pipe and it start knocking after a while, it sounded just like an engine knock.

I jus got my x-pipe (bassani) w/ cats and it's knocking as well with my exhaust leak, i can't stand it anymore, i seriously have to blast my stereo so i don't have to listen to that ridiculous noise, it drives me nuts.....!!

Don't jump the gun and go buying parts untill you know exactly where to start. Sounds to me like you need someone with a little more experience, like a buddy or mechanic to do a little problem solving. Good luck and I hope it's nothing.

Yea...i'll try not to go totally insane from these minor problems, but i hate when i just want to listen to my engine, when i can't because i have to listen to some stupid and annoying clicking' sound.

But, i'll def. have it checked out, probably this week because i'll be going to one my buddies' shop in Chicago to order my wheels.

hopefully it's just an exhaust leak - check your header to h pipe collector and connection - my headers rotted out right there leaving a horrible exhaust leak, than i replaced the headers and H pipe, and it went away - good luck man

I had the same symptoms before, when i would press on the gas the clicking would get louder and when i would let off the gas it would go away. I turned out to be an exhaust leak, but i knew that right away because i could smell exhaust when i would get out of the driver side door. My leak was header to X-pipe. Leave the car running and see if you can smell anything, or just take it to an exhaust shop to rule it out. Good luck.

mustangramair said:
I had the same symptoms before, when i would press on the gas the clicking would get louder and when i would let off the gas it would go away. I turned out to be an exhaust leak, but i knew that right away because i could smell exhaust when i would get out of the driver side door. My leak was header to X-pipe. Leave the car running and see if you can smell anything, or just take it to an exhaust shop to rule it out. Good luck.

Exactly...that is wat is happening to me, i'd press the gas, the clicking got louder, let off the gas, then it goes away! i know it's an exhaust leak, b/c i had my car running and i lied down and by holding my hand near where i thought it was leaking, is where yours was, i felt the exhaust / heat puffing at my hand.

I think the best thing to do is un-bolt the exhaust to header piping and basically start over again by bolting it up again. Is there any type of sealant or sumthing that you can just apply where the exhaust leak is to at least help seal the leak up a lil' bit or what? ? ?

Thanks
Stan

Dude, you dont have to unbolt anything. Just start tightening. you will probly come across some blatantly loose bolts/nuts. Check your header flanges and header bolts to the block. If there is still clicking, then start unbloting and check for a blown gasket.

Tyler