Think my friend got ripped off, tell me what you think

cb18201

Oct 25, 2003
CT
he brought his car to a shop to have gears put in and his posi unit rebuilt, while they were doing the job they broke two abs sensors which cost 60 bucks each from ford. (he called ford to verify) well the total bill after tax and labor was around 900 bucks. do you think he got ripped off?

For the gears,install kit, and fluids was around 300 bucks
For the posi clutches was about 50 bucks
For both ABS sensors was 120 bucks
plus about 6-7 hours of labor

does this seem right?

• Sponsors (?)

That sucks for sure...they hosed him hard on the labor, 6-7 hrs at a garage rate is gonna be killer for sure....specially if its a dealership :(

ABS sensors do often break...they just plain suck to remove....

actually, that seems a bit high, but not by much. lets get more specific
$139 for gears
$100 for overhaul
$50 for clutches
$120 for abs
$270-$315 in labor=
$1179

hmm, i used the figure of $65 an hour for the labor (rough guess). maybe he actually got off light. That's why i install my own gears and rebuild everything i can possibly do.

17yrOldStanger said:
That's why i install my own gears and rebuild everything i can possibly do.

What he said....another reason to turn your own wrenches.... :D I'm tearing into mine again to swap in 373s...

axles_out.jpg

This is a Rotary 9000lb, it cost me 2600.00 delivered 3 yrs ago..I just turned a bud on to the same lift...Its 3100.00 with shipping...My entire garage was built with this mother in mind....Cheap money if you like playing with cars....We have like 8 freakin cars/trucks to take care of....comes in handy for sure...

even have the car covered up Andy? :nonono:

I was quoted $650 for gear install, t-lok rebuild, and labor and thats what made me deicde to install the gears myself with my dads help.

find a guy in your area to do side work. i got my gear brand new from someone that didnt want it anymore for $110 (its a ford one), i think $70 for a rebuild kit from summit and $150 for the install of it all and fluids. i didnt want to dare touch it myself (only thing i havent worked on) so i think i got away pretty decently.

twstd50 said:
It they broke em, he shouldn't have to pay for them or the labor to replace them.

This is not always true. Mine were rusted in so bad that they could not get them out without breaking them. The fact I took my car to them to have the work done doesn't seem right that they should be held responsible if something like that happens. I also had my clutch changed out and when they went to take the H pipe off, the header bolt broke. Things like that are going to happen.

Paul

RIO5.0 said:
What he said....another reason to turn your own wrenches.... :D I'm tearing into mine again to swap in 373s...

axles_out.jpg

Andy...

That garage is MINT, Guess Im going to have to make a trip to N.H this summer to check it out.

PS: Make sure you have a few beers in the fridge :D

RIO5.0 said:

axles_out.jpg
ok....Andy can do gears...I need gears done...I cant afford to pay a shop to install them....I've done all the work on my car so far but dont trust myself to do gears...I would love to work with someone I would trust and possibly learn some things....I've always wanted to move into Andy's garage and sleep on the lift....hmm....ROADTRIP!!!!! WOOT! :banana: :spot:

Anthony