Thinking of buying 1974 Mustang II - Help determine value

GandhiM

May 23, 2008
Hello Everyone.

I'm thinking of buying a 1974 Mustang II to fix up and give to my mother (who used to drive one).

I've found one somewhat locally and was wondering what your opinion on the car's value is.

The ad reads as:
"I'm selling my 1974 Ford Mustang II. It came from Florida about 10 years ago, been garaged since. Has 54,000 original miles. Brakes were just done and master cylinder was just replaced. Car is very clean in and out. Needs headliner and paint or an acid wash and wax. Carpet is faded but can be dyed for under $50. Will include all Ford dealer and factory manuals that will help you repair or rebuild anything on this car. I am accepting trades for other cars and trucks. Just ask, I'll accept just about anything of equal or less value. Thanks for looking. Email me for pics, more info, or a personal showing."

Based on the condition of the car, and the fact that he doesn't know much about it's history, I believe the odometer rolled and true mileage is actually 154000 miles. He claims car is drivable and runs fine. I think I have an idea of what it's worth, but wanted your opinion. He's asking $1800, which I think is way to much.

Pictures of the car the seller sent me:
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5
pic 6
pic 7
pic 8

Thanks for your help guys!

• Sponsors (?)

What engine I4 or V6 ? Either way, not enough photos of entire car but I would not pay more than $500., looks like it needs lots of work.
I paid $1800.00 for this V8 77 last July, and it was already winnig shows.:rolleyes:
2954318_2_full.jpg

I think you're right about the mileage. And what do the seats look like under those covers? Not pretty, I'm guessing. But, it's not in horrible shape. If you could pick it up for half of what he's asking, and it's in good running condition, you'd likely have a good candidate for a mild resto. Just make sure you do a thorough rust check.

I agree, 500-600 bucks. It a 4 banger coupe, automatic to boot that is gonna need alot of just cosmetic work from what I can see. An original 54k? Eh... I'd say more like 154K BUT- after living in New Mexico and seeing what heat does to cars... there is a slight, slight possibility that it's a 54K car that spent most it's life prior to 10 years ago, outdoors. Combine that with the coastal air if it was near shorelines...

The '77 Cobra II I had bought in New Mexico while I was stationed there... man ... heat does DAMAGE. The whole interior was just fried and the paint was really dull and burned through. The dash pad had huge craters in it. The odom on it was like 120K (reading a little over 20K). Never seen stuff like that after living up here in moss country most my life. :D

Hmmm... must have confused your car with another I was looking at on the internet. I thought you wrote that it was a 4 banger... nevermind, I re-read it and obviously you didn't! :doh:

Anyhow, yes it could be a V6 auto too. I think the V6 is a bit better, but the 4cyl factory rated isn't far behind the V6's power output. Both engines have a decent aftermarket of speed accessories, more so for the 4 cyl though. Personal preferance I suppose.