Thinking of selling my new cams

lvmustanggt

Apr 9, 2006
Las Vegas
I bought my comp cams EX270AH and bee hive comp cam valve springs about a month now and cannot find any one to install it for good price so i am thinking about selling it on ebay where I bought it form.
Sliver state motorsport want $1000.00 for install
and another shop wants 4 1500.00. That is fu*king BS .
I payed $ 700 for my cams and valve springs , don't want to pay more then $500 for install .
I might just sell the ****king cams and save money for Procharger :(

How much did you guys pay for cams , valve springs install ?

ANy of your know any place in vegas?

Should I sell my cams ?
Thanks
Sean

• Sponsors (?)

you will need a tune as well so there is even more money.

If you don't turn you own wrench cams are not a good mod $$$ to hp.

$700 cams springs
$1000 install
$379 tune
=$2079 for 25hp

even if you found a place for $500 it is still pretty high.

that is not worth it.

so I would either sell them and get some spray or boost or learn to do it yourself. as long as you follow directions it is not that big of job. could easily bee done in a weekend.

well if you cant afford a shop to do cams, a procharger isnt going to be easy on the pocket either.

unless you can do these things yourself or have bottomless pockets, id stray from any sort of expensive power adder. besides, what happens when something breaks from the added power, theres even more money and a downed car for however long it takes. just sounds like a bad road to drive down.

I say if its that much of a PITA, just sell them and use the money for LT's and install. I found places around me that will install for $350 and you can actually do them yourself.

installing cams and valve springa in our car is simple, yet very laber intesive task. just like a headers in our car.
$$800~$1000+ is some what normal for cams and spring install from what i've been seeing.

No offense, but you should have thought about laber befor you bouoght the cams

lvmustanggt said:
One shop said they will install cams for $180 , that's why I bought cams. But they told me that $ 180 for the cams only and they want 1500 if they have to do valve springs.
That's why I am ****ed
I'd get a couple of buddies together, buy some beer and pizza, borrow a service manual from your local dealership and take your time and do it yourself over a weekend. The only real tool you're going to need is the valve spring tool. You could buy/rent the timing chain tool to collapse the tensioner, but if I were you, I'd just pull the front cover off, take off the chains and work from there. It's not difficult of a job, just very time consuming. Label all of your parts and again, take your time!!!

mity2 said:
Hey Gearbanger, you don't think those Andersons Cam tool thingie is worth getting over taking front cover off?
I've personally never used one (maybe someone with experience using one would like to chime in), but I'm told unless you know what you're doing with it, trying to get the chains off is like watching a monkey screw a football. Entertaining to say the least, but pointless just the same. :shrug:

I would personally rather skip the frustration and pull the front cover. It's not that difficult, just time consuming.

...Oh yeah, if you do decide to pull the cover, I forgot to mention you'll need a crank puller as well. :)

About the cam swap.... Get the July issue of MUSTANGS & Fast Fords Vol.19 No 7, They go step by step on how to do it yourself without taking the front cover off. It is easy but you will need a buddy to help. Only takes a couple of hours. You will need a spring compressor and wire to tie to the timing chains to keep tention on them so they dont fall into the cover.

Your Welcome, don't mention it....

GTR_Stang03 said:
About the cam swap.... Get the July issue of MUSTANGS & Fast Fords Vol.19 No 7, They go step by step on how to do it yourself without taking the front cover off. It is easy but you will need a buddy to help. Only takes a couple of hours. You will need a spring compressor and wire to tie to the timing chains to keep tention on them so they dont fall into the cover.

Your Welcome, don't mention it....
Sorry but he has Comp 270ah cams so the halfass install way may cause him lots of grief if he doesn't remove the timing cover and degree in those cams..PTV is a real possibility because of the advance timing in the cams and crap ford timing gears.

Original Poster...sell your cams/springs...then buy a STAGE 1 Cam set that doesn't need springs and i'd suggest VT st 1 cams because people have not had any real PTV issues so you take those to the shop that quoted you $180 and then all your problems are solved.

DropTopPony said:
Sorry but he has Comp 270ah cams so the halfass install way may cause him lots of grief if he doesn't remove the timing cover and degree in those cams..PTV is a real possibility because of the advance timing in the cams and crap ford timing gears.

Original Poster...sell your cams/springs...then buy a STAGE 1 Cam set that doesn't need springs and i'd suggest VT st 1 cams because people have not had any real PTV issues so you take those to the shop that quoted you $180 and then all your problems are solved.
Hehe, thats a good idea. Watch the shop be like "Oh, we won't install cams without upgrading springs because its not safe" :rolleyes:

DropTopPony said:

I agree 100%. Trade the your 270's for the 262's or VT Stage 1's. No need really for the valve springs so sell those and you can install yourself without the worries of PTV you may get with the 270's. You loose about 5-10 HP but the money you save is the benefit.

GTR_Stang03 said:
image.php
Nice avatar....not very original though. Sorry dude, but there's only one Gearbanger101 :)

lvmustanggt said:
I will think about it but if I have to sell I will sell it for $700 with free shiping, I paid $700 + shipping

Damn you paid $700?!?! Man did you get ripped off, I just looked up those cams and both places were selling them for $600 with free shipping. I bet I could find it cheaper if I spent more time looking for it but I just spent 5 min!

Stangdriver1119 said:
Damn you paid $700?!?! Man did you get ripped off, I just looked up those cams and both places were selling them for $600 with free shipping. I bet I could find it cheaper if I spent more time looking for it but I just spent 5 min!
...and if you'd have looked at his post closer you would see that the price is for cams AND springs...:D

COramprat said:
I agree 100%. Trade the your 270's for the 262's or VT Stage 1's. No need really for the valve springs so sell those and you can install yourself without the worries of PTV you may get with the 270's. You loose about 5-10 HP but the money you save is the benefit.
+1, if you are doing springs to and paying someone to install them, 262's are the way to go. The only reason I went ahead and bought springs was because I did a PI head swap, so the heads had to come off anyway, making it much easier to do springs. They didn't charge me anything extra to install the springs.