Thinking of selling my new cams

Stangdriver1119 said:
Damn you paid $700?!?! Man did you get ripped off, I just looked up those cams and both places were selling them for $600 with free shipping. I bet I could find it cheaper if I spent more time looking for it but I just spent 5 min!

600 would still be a rip off for Comp xe 270's. I got mine for 475 with free shipping on ebay and my beehive springs for 175 with free shipping. So the 700 he paid for cams and springs is about right.

To the original poster: Seems like the best thing you could do is sell your cams and springs and buy some vt stage 1's or 262's. And for future reference make sure to check out install price before buying parts. I learned it the hard way as well!

• Sponsors (?)

DropTopPony said:
Sorry but he has Comp 270ah cams so the halfass install way may cause him lots of grief if he doesn't remove the timing cover and degree in those cams..PTV is a real possibility because of the advance timing in the cams and crap ford timing gears.

Original Poster...sell your cams/springs...then buy a STAGE 1 Cam set that doesn't need springs and i'd suggest VT st 1 cams because people have not had any real PTV issues so you take those to the shop that quoted you $180 and then all your problems are solved.

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking....MEGA DITTOS!!!!!

what happend here is you went nd bought some agressive cams, so now PTV contact is possible the shop wants some "cover your ass money" in case there is a problem.

the 180 dollar quote was for a hack cam install, no degreeing, no front cover coming off and no valve springs. There is too much risk involved doing that with your cams you bought. A set of stage 1 VT's probally would be what you need.

Some things to consider...

First, you are thinking of a Procharger SC in the future. Take a good look at the cams you have right now. The Comp 270AH cams work very well in a N/A car and they work very well with a SC. You sell them and go with say VT Stg 1 cam and then decide to go with a SC, well now you need to buy another set of cams because the VT N/A cams do not work well with SCs.

Personally, I would not sell the Comp 270 cams if I have them already.

Second, people are telling you to sell the Comp's and get VT's then do the half-ass install and you are good to go. What these people are not telling you is that VT Engines cams have had PTV issues. These issues are from people doing the half-assed install method and something goes wrong with the install, most likely a the cam gear jumps a tooth and the installer didn't notice it. This has happened to a number of people.

Your best be is to have whatever cam you decide to go with and have it installed properly. That means that the cams are degreed in. Then you know when you get the car back, you know you won't have PTV issues as the cams will be checked for clearances with the valves. Doing an install like this is going to cost you, but it is worth it in the end, especially if you do run into PTV issues from a half-assed install. If that happens you will be wishing you had the cams installed properly.

I recommend that you hold onto your cams and start saving for a proper install of them. Especially since you are considering an SC in the future.

Ill be going turbo on my VT stg 1 cams...VT engines is pretty curious as to what sort of power I make :D.

^Yes, but remember the ONLY way the car will have PTV contact is if it jumps a tooth....just tell the shop to mark where the chain is on the gear with white out...if they are good, they would do that anyways. Thus eleminating any chance of PTV.

TGJ said:
Second, people are telling you to sell the Comp's and get VT's then do the half-ass install and you are good to go. What these people are not telling you is that VT Engines cams have had PTV issues. These issues are from people doing the half-assed install method and something goes wrong with the install, most likely a the cam gear jumps a tooth and the installer didn't notice it. This has happened to a number of people.

Your best be is to have whatever cam you decide to go with and have it installed properly. That means that the cams are degreed in. Then you know when you get the car back, you know you won't have PTV issues as the cams will be checked for clearances with the valves. Doing an install like this is going to cost you, but it is worth it in the end, especially if you do run into PTV issues from a half-assed install. If that happens you will be wishing you had the cams installed properly.
I don't think anyone was suggesting a half-assed install. I believe what we are trying to convey is that there is less likelyhood of having problems with PTV on a less aggressive cam as well as not having to do a spring install with said cams thus saving some time and money. If the $180 quote is for a "half-assed" install then before the work is done make sure you have some warrenty info in writing.

That said the install can be a DIY. I did mine and have zero issues. Take your time, read everything you can about the install and, with a decent set of tools, you can have that satisfaction of doing a swap yourself.