Those who question 4.6's longevity.

Spreadman

two wheels
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Houston, TX
100k.jpg

I just turned 100,000 miles today while on a date. She's 4 years old and running stronger than ever. And I drive the girl HARD. Just goes to show that if you take care of your car, change the oil when yer supposed to, it will last a long time.

• Sponsors (?)

Spreadman said:
100k.jpg

I just turned 100,000 miles today while on a date. She's 4 years old and running stronger than ever. And I drive the girl HARD. Just goes to show that if you take care of your car, change the oil when yer supposed to, it will last a long time.

Hey Scotty.

While I do believe the car turned 100,000 miles.........I don't believe the "while on a date" line! LOL! :stick:

:rlaugh:

That's good to hear. My next Mustang *may* be a 99+ 4.6 so it's nice to know they last. You always hear about how reliable the 5.0's are, which is very true, but I figured the 4.6's were also pretty reliable. I bought my 5.0 with over 100k on it and didn't think twice. It hasn't missed a beat and runs very strong. But just for peace of mind, I think if I do buy a 4.6 I'm going to look for one with low miles. But maintenance is the most important thing...I'd rather have a car with 100k that had been maintained regularly than a car with 20k that never had the oil changed or other routine maintenance done...

DeadLurker said:
Good to see the GT making it to the 100,000 mark with ease.

What needed to be replaced or fixed besides the obvious maintance for the 100,000 miles?
Hmmmmm. Rattles and squeaks in the beginning.

Replaced IAC motor
Replaced injector on #4 (the cause of her not running right for 97k of those miles)
other than that....regular maintenance, live by it.

I'm still on the stock clutch. And I run it HARD.

I'll give my opinion on this from my experience with grand marqs/crown vics/town cars the 4.6s usually don't last over 125k. I'm not saying they can't last longer, or some cases don't even make it to 100k, but this is what I see at my work. I did work on a 97 GT last week that had 140K miles and was still running strong. A lot of it has to do with keeping up on maintenance and how the vehicle is driven.

5.0's 4 ever said:
I'll give my opinion on this from my experience with grand marqs/crown vics/town cars the 4.6s usually don't last over 125k. I'm not saying they can't last longer, or some cases don't even make it to 100k, but this is what I see at my work. I did work on a 97 GT last week that had 140K miles and was still running strong. A lot of it has to do with keeping up on maintenance and how the vehicle is driven.

Whats your experience with 4.6's? With someone with the name of 5.0's 4ever, how much weight can your comments on 4.6's really have.. :rolleyes:

Here, let me tell you mine.. Friend is a dispatcher at a cab company, they utilize Crown Vics.. 4.6's .. Most of them are over 125k miles.. :shrug: They are abused and driven hard, but maintained regularly..

Most modern engines (even Kias!) will run for awhile when properly maintained..

30,000 miles and I need to do some checking, sounds like the clicking of a bad valve guide to me. Trans is trashed, bent shift forks, synchros are junk. Rattles and squeaks. Rattles in the vents. Other than that... :p Good car, it doesn't get abused but I'm not easy on it either.

my friends 99 gt has over 160k with no out of the ordinary problems. he replaced the IAC, MAS, and put a new clutch in at 70k. he does all the routine maintenance and his car had nitrous(75 dry) on it from 35k to 150k. he ruined the MAS by using nitrous. everything else is factory except a few exhaust mods. :nice:

Spreadman said:
100k.jpg

What are you doing dating a four year old and driving her hard?!? You freakin' perv! :owned:

Congrats on your car.