Thoughts/discussion on tire/wheel combos and the like

Britt

Founding Member
May 2, 2002
South Carolina
What are your thoughts on tires an wheels? I have not decided on the wheels or the tires I want to use, and I would like to gain some knowledge on the looks, styles and performance of tires and wheels. I posted this thread for technical information on tires, and wheels as well as showing pics of different styles and fit of wheels.

I was going to go with the tried and true 17x8 torq thrust IIs but I thought I would try something different. What other wheels would look good on a 66 coupe, and still keep a tough porpose built look while adding a certain amount of class? Please post pics! :nice: I also like 15 inch wheels with beefy tires, so the idea of a smaller wheel doesnt bother me.

Could someone please explain the aspect ratio of tires and how that relates to the overall size of the tire, and also a conversion formula to claculate the size of the tire in inches? How does this effect the performance of the tire?

I would also like to learn the correct backspace of different widths and how backspacing effects different things like handling and the like. How is backspacing calculated?

Finaly I would like to know how different sizes of wheels, tires, and other important things effect the handling of the car, and the way it looks and drives.

Thanks, and sorry for the long and demanding post.

Britt :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

This should be an interesting thread to watch. I'll start out with mine. They are American "Hopsters" in 17x8. Definitely a different look. More info on MY combination is in my website: GT350Clone.com

20055233-699e-02000180-.jpg

Also, I've started building a wheel/tire tech page on my website - it covers some of the info you're asking, and has a couple good links for even more info: http://www.gt350clone.com/rim_tire.htm
:nice:

To figure out height of tire here's the way
Width * aspect ratio = sidewall height
(sidewall height * 2) + rim size = tire height

For example 245/45-17

245 * .45 = 110.25
110.25 * 2 = 220.5 (to convert to inches divide by 25.4)
220.5 / 25.4 = 8.68
8.68 + 17 = 25.68

Backspacing is the distance from the back of the rim mounting surface (the part that would touch brake rotor or drum) to the rear edge of the rim

Backspacing.gif

Here's a pic of mine with the tried & true

sid1a02.JPG