Throttle Body problems

JTGrant

Aug 2, 2005
GA
I have had this 62mm throttle body from LFP for about 6,000 miles now. The car has ran great with it until last week. I started noticing a strand tapping noise when I cycle the key to ignition #2. The cars make a throttle sweep everytime the key is cycled from off to on. This lets the system know the voltage and travel. The tapping noise was the throttle binding. Then today the car when into limp home mode. I tryed reprogramming, but that did not work. I installed the factory throttle body and this fixed both problems. I noticed that the moved on the LFP throttle body it was not smooth like it was the day it was installed. So the guys at LFP are trying to figure out what the problem is, they said that the was the only case of this happening, but I had one of the first ones. It sucks now because that throttle body is good for 12hp and 10 torque. I dynoed it. The throttle response was better, so hopefully I can get a replacement. If they are not going to give me another one then I guess I will go with BBK. I also noticed I good bit of play in the secondary gear inside the assembly, this is the gear that couples with the gear on the electromagnet. The gear is suppose to move up and down but not side to side. That is why it is binding up.

• Sponsors (?)

OMG, the same thing happend to me, I have the GMS 62mm TB and around 6k-7k miles it started Clicking, it did this for about two weeks then the car coded :bang:

I contacted Granatelli Motor Sports and they could not figure it out. They sent me a new TB but so far no problems. they said that the clicking noise is the throttle position sensor trying to detect the blade angle :shrug:

http://www.wieduwilt.us/mustang/Strange%20Start.AVI

I watched your video, yeah mine started that a week ago and now it will not take the LFP throttle body. I'm going to sent it back. Hopefully the new one will work fine.

i have had the LFP TB on my car for a while now. i love the throttle response, but once in a while the idle will go up and down a little. does anyone else have this problem? from what i have been reading, it sounds like the BBK one is better. would it be worth switching to it and selling mine?

celticstanger said:
Hmmm, my car ticks some before the ignition takes (like the battery is low, but it isn't) and she fires up. Other than that, no probs I'd associate with the TB.

Yeah mine did this about a week before it started going into limp home mode. The noise sounds like a starter solenoid that has low voltage going to it. This noise is the sound of the throttle binding up. When you cycle the key form off to on. It makes a sweep to check angle and travel. This noise is the throttle body. I would contact them and let them know that this maybe happening to other people. I sent the throttle body back last Monday and they received it on Thursday. I talked to Mark(ownwer) and its seem he is going to take it home for the weekend and is going to try to figure it out.

granatelli said on another forum to just slap a glob of lube on the gears, and this will cure the binding problem. for some reason LFP and everyone else selling this thing didnt say to lube it up when you install it. i am gonna lube mine later today and see what happens, but i have had this problem.

i am getting so sick of this throttle body. i have adjusted the screw on it soo many times. this thing sucks the car idles weird, revs go up and down, sometimes it almost stalls, sometimes the revs get stuck up at 2000. piece of junk. i am gonna lube it tomorrow and see what happens, otherwise i am gonna sell it and get the BBK one. this LFP thing is turning out to be a piece of junk.

official_style said:
granatelli said on another forum to just slap a glob of lube on the gears, and this will cure the binding problem. for some reason LFP and everyone else selling this thing didnt say to lube it up when you install it. i am gonna lube mine later today and see what happens, but i have had this problem.

what did they say to lube it with?

official_style said:
i have had the LFP TB on my car for a while now. i love the throttle response, but once in a while the idle will go up and down a little. does anyone else have this problem? from what i have been reading, it sounds like the BBK one is better. would it be worth switching to it and selling mine?

Call them at LFP and talk to Mark and let them know that this is happening to other people. They have have fine since Thursday and I have not heard anything back yet.

THE PROBLEM HAS BEEEEN SOLVED!!!!! so after finally getting the screw for the throttle blades adjusted, and it still would not idle right and sometimes not start, i took off the motor that controls the blades, and slapped a bunch of grease in there. put it back together, it idles just like it has the stock TB in it!!! they really need to put this into the instructions. so everyone go slap some grease in that mofo and ur good once its adjusted correctly.

official_style said:
THE PROBLEM HAS BEEEEN SOLVED!!!!! so after finally getting the screw for the throttle blades adjusted, and it still would not idle right and sometimes not start, i took off the motor that controls the blades, and slapped a bunch of grease in there. put it back together, it idles just like it has the stock TB in it!!! they really need to put this into the instructions. so everyone go slap some grease in that mofo and ur good once its adjusted correctly.
what kind/brand of grease did you use?

well it started sucking and binding with the grease, so i took it all off with brake cleaner, and then wd-40d the hell out of it. much better, it will stick at startup sometimes, u can hear it happen, u just turn key off turn on pump pedal turn off then start. i am convinced the metal gears are the problems, i am gonna get the bbk one. with the wd40 it idles perfectly and the revs drop like a normal throttle cable car

official_style said:
well it started sucking and binding with the grease, so i took it all off with brake cleaner, and then wd-40d the hell out of it. much better, it will stick at startup sometimes, u can hear it happen, u just turn key off turn on pump pedal turn off then start. i am convinced the metal gears are the problems, i am gonna get the bbk one. with the wd40 it idles perfectly and the revs drop like a normal throttle cable car

call lfp.