Throttle Position Sensor

The TPS on my wifes 95GT went out the other day. The car will not idle for crap. I went and bought a new one a Autozone. My question is, how do you set the voltage on the TPS? I know youre supposed to get as close to 1 volt as possible, right? How do you do this and with what? Thanks for answering a dumb question

• Sponsors (?)

Here’s a TPS tip I got from NoGo50…

When you installed the sensor make sure you place it on the peg right and then tighten it down properly. Loosen the back screw a tiny bit so the sensor can pivot and loosen the front screw enough so you can move it just a little in very small increments. I wouldn’t try to adjust it using marks. Set it at .80v-.99v, Just don’t go over .99, or you’ll upset the fuel calibration and idle quality may suffer, along with some other problems like poor gas mileage.

(copied from MustangMax, Glendale AZ)

1. Always adjust the TPS and Idle with the engine at operating temp. Drive it around for a bit if you can and get it nice and warm.

2. When you probe the leads of the TPS, do not use an engine ground, put the ground probe into the lead of the TPS. You should be connecting both meter probes to the TPS and not one to the TPS and the other to ground. Use Green & Black wires for your measurements.

3. Always reset the computer whenever you adjust the TPS or clean/change any sensors. I just pull the battery lead for 10 minutes.

4. Check the procedure for your year, on my 90 I have to turn the idle screw until it just touches the tab, then insert a .010 feeler gauge and give it about one more turn. Then you adjust the TPS voltage to .80v-.98v, reset the computer. Start it up, if the idle is to low then turn the screw in until it is just right, then readjust the TPS voltage to .80v-.98v and reset the computer and start it up. The key is to adjust the TPS voltage and reset the computer whenever the idle screw is changed.