throw out bearing

• Sponsors (?)

Its not so bad if you have a transmission jack, and the right tools, getting the transmission out is the hardest part. Once that is gone all you have is the clutch, which isnt so bad. You'll need a slide hammer to get the bearing out itself. While you have all of this out depending on how old the clutch is i would consider changing it too. It took me and my dad a better part of 4 hours to change my chirping throwout bearing and clutch.

TROJN007 said:
Its not so bad if you have a transmission jack, and the right tools, getting the transmission out is the hardest part. Once that is gone all you have is the clutch, which isnt so bad. You'll need a slide hammer to get the bearing out itself. While you have all of this out depending on how old the clutch is i would consider changing it too. It took me and my dad a better part of 4 hours to change my chirping throwout bearing and clutch.
ah, i think you mis-read his question. you are talkin about doin a pilot bearing; he needs to do a TOB.

the TOB is less work. drop the trans and take it off the input shaft.

TROJN007 said:
yeah, haha late night i guess, ahh it takes the same amount of work to get to both. A little easie to get to the TOB though
yeah, i know how it goes. i do the same thing all the time.....:)

HISSIN50 said:
ah, i think you mis-read his question. you are talkin about doin a pilot bearing; he needs to do a TOB.

the TOB is less work. drop the trans and take it off the input shaft.

Yeah, the TOB is MUCH MUCH EASIER!!!!

Just like he said above, slide the transmission out, take the TOB off of the clutch release lever (remembering how it came off), put wheel bearing grease on the surface that makes contact w/ the pressure plate fingers, and install it back in the release lever.

You can even leave the transmission on the jack if you want. Also, you could also leave the driveshaft in the transmission too. Just disconnect the D/S from the rear end (12mm 12point closed end wrench needed for the 4 bolts), let it hang while you remove the transmission.

Just have someone putting slight pressure on the d/s so it doesn't leak ATF all over the place.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
Yeah, the TOB is MUCH MUCH EASIER!!!!

Just like he said above, slide the transmission out, take the TOB off of the clutch release lever (remembering how it came off), put wheel bearing grease on the surface that makes contact w/ the pressure plate fingers, and install it back in the release lever.

You can even leave the transmission on the jack if you want. Also, you could also leave the driveshaft in the transmission too. Just disconnect the D/S from the rear end (12mm 12point closed end wrench needed for the 4 bolts), let it hang while you remove the transmission.

Just have someone putting slight pressure on the d/s so it doesn't leak ATF all over the place.
Scott
Scott, that is some real nice info there. i bet that cuts the R/R time down quite considerably......

HISSIN50 said:
Scott, that is some real nice info there. i bet that cuts the R/R time down quite considerably......

:rlaugh:

I get so irritated when I am having a problem with something, and I find a thread that begins to help, but then they leave out the important details out.

With the pains of doing a clutch with only 2 jackstands & most of the work by yourself, you learn tricks really fast.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
:rlaugh:

I get so irritated when I am having a problem with something, and I find a thread that begins to help, but then they leave out the important details out.

With the pains of doing a clutch with only 2 jackstands & most of the work by yourself, you learn tricks really fast.
Scott
i hear ya, Scott. we all have repair manuals. we all know that to do any project, we need to disconnect the battery, use approved jack stands, safety goggles, not be near any flames, use no products in pressurized cans, not lick solvents, and so on. but then the book leaves out the good stuff.

repair manual on how to do a clutch:

"[all the stuff i listed above and then some]. remove motor. remove dash. remove bolts and linkage. install is reverse of removal. torque all fasteners to specs listed at the beginning of chapter."

gee, thanks for that wonderful info. i would have been lost, had i not had the repair manual's vast knowledge.

tricks and tips are what we need. :cheers:

:drool:Solvents:drool:

:rlaugh: Haynes manual & doing a clutch swap for the first time = fun.

My manual is nice and purdy, except the section on transmission/drivetrain removal. They have enough clutch dust and ATF to eat me alive.

I wish they would have mentioned that when you reinstall the trans x-member, the smog tube needs to be above the x-member. That would have saved me some time.

I spent 20 minutes trying to get the tube above the x-member until finally I realized that I only had to drop one side of the x-member and voila! :nonono:

As soon as I finished the project, I dropped the top, and went STRAIGHT to Krispy Kreme's and ate a whole box of glazed doughnuts to myself. Man my stomach loved that one the next morning.
Scott

Scott. LMAO. did you know that if you get the orange stuff we clean our hands with, on your tongue, it will go numb. :)

you must have an iron gut - the smell of KK's makes me sick (ive never had one).

Chez - i dont know about the trans jack. i use a floor jack for removal (sometimes a piece of wood strapped to its platform works well). for install, i bench them back in.

as for the TOB lifespan, i bet others know better than i. it depends on the manufacturer and construction, how you drive (clutch in at lights for long periods, etc) and adjust it.
a lot of the fox guys really like dialing in 10 pounds of preload on the cable. this keeps the TOB pressed against the PP diaphram fingers. i would think this might wear the TOB more (as well as the diaphram fingers a little). i have no engagements issues (i would practice this if my point of engagement was right on the floor, but it is not).

so i guess im saying that there are too many variables to really forecast how long it will last, IMHO.

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Scott. LMAO. did you know that if you get the orange stuff we clean our hands with, on your tongue, it will go numb. :)

you must have an iron gut - the smell of KK's makes me sick (ive never had one).

Chez - i dont know about the trans jack. i use a floor jack for removal (sometimes a piece of wood strapped to its platform works well). for install, i bench them back in.

as for the TOB lifespan, i bet others know better than i. it depends on the manufacturer and construction, how you drive (clutch in at lights for long periods, etc) and adjust it.
a lot of the fox guys really like dialing in 10 pounds of preload on the cable. this keeps the TOB pressed against the PP diaphram fingers. i would think this might wear the TOB more (as well as the diaphram fingers a little). i have no engagements issues (i would practice this if my point of engagement was right on the floor, but it is not).

so i guess im saying that there are too many variables to really forecast how long it will last, IMHO.

good luck.

Yeah, preload on the cable means your TOB will last 10x less than normal. That is how your prematurely wear out the bearings. But if you are anally concerned with shifting time, I guess that might save you a 1/20 of a second or so in the quarter.

Speaking of anal, I am pretty insistant on keeping the car in neutral when I am at a stoplight. Can't stand sitting at a light holding the clutch pedal down.

That is how you wear your Pressure Plate too. (Woman I bought my car from did that, and guess what, clutch was shot and TOB came out in 2 pieces)

As long as the cable is adjusted so the TOB doesn't touch the fingers when fully disengaged , and you don't hold the pedal down 24/7, it should last you as long as the clutch. You can see if this is the case if you remove the clutch dust cover off of the bell housing and look inside.

:OT: HISSIN50 What's your name?

#1 Never tried eating fast orange. Is that really true? I thought they stopped putting crack cocaine in products a long time ago? :shrug: I love that stuff (as a cleaner, not food that is).

#2 You never had KK's before? Oh man, it is Heaven in a white box. Thankfully I have some form of self control, so I don't go there much. My stomach hated me the next day after the binge.

Everyone at my work was so happy when they finally came here. Before they did, any time a client would come down from Phoenix, we would ask/demand them to bring KK's. :nonono:

Sorry to hijack your thread.
Scott