Tilt Wheel Causing No Start?

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hicksville, NY
I have a no start condition with my 67 Cougar XR7. Not all that different than a similarly equipped Mustang. I removed my complete duraspark ignition, and replaced it with a Pertronix that I had laying around.
Still no start. Engine spins freely, like it has no compression. Fuel down the carb, and no hint of any attempt to run.

Any one have any input? I am really getting angry at this car.....

• Sponsors (?)

i have had a worn out bearing in the top of the column cause horn and signal problems but not starting problems. the ignition doesnt run through the column ,it sounds like the red and black wires that go to the neutral safty switch. on a standard transmition they just have a jumper conection. is there power to the coil when the key is in the on position?also check the I post on the starter solenoid with the key on

The shifter bushings are new in the shifter.
I have a thread going on mc.net, about the same no start condition. I had driven the car behind the house, and then it just hasn't started since then! I had a duraspark set up that was working fine-or so I thought. I tried jumping battery voltage straight to the coil, and nothing. I have jumped the stock factory tach to itself. Still nothing. No hint of a spark in the cylinders. I removed and replaced the duraspark with an extra pertronix I had laying around, and no change. Perhaps both electronic distributors are bad?

Well, the car has been started-and runs on fuel from the carb. It is not drawing fuel yet from the tank. The pump is new, but has been dry for over a year now...Tilt wheel in this case was not the problem. There are some mystery electrical issues that need to be solved however.