Timing 10 Degrees Or Higher?

dz01

Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
I know the stock timing setting is 10 degrees and a lot of people run 12 or 14. I seem to recall setting mine to 14 a few years ago and motor sounded like crap (pinging) so I brought it back down. What are the pros/cons of running 10, 12 or 14?

• Sponsors (?)

What octane fuel are you running? You need to run the highest octane rating you can find at a gas station with higher timing. Around my parts I can only find 92 so that will dictate what timing I run. So fill yours up with 92 or 93, bump timing till you hear pinging and then back it down a tad.

Advancing the timing generates more HP to a degree. If you advance too far and induce pinging then you're at risk of melting down the motor (esp in a booster or n2o application). 12-14 is a general safe rule of thumb but all cars are different and like different amounts of timing.

Yeah, depends how you drive the car. Daily driver? Then back it down and run regular. Weekend warrior? No reason to avoid premium. It's an easy switch to go back and forth. Takes a 1/2" wrench and maybe 3 minutes. 1 min if you have marked the base ;)

Reactions: 1 user