Timing Q's

whitegrande

Aug 3, 2002
Vacavile
Okay, I've got my 351C back together, and the only thing keeping it from running now is the timing. I can find TDC and line the rotor up with it, and go to start it. It will start for a second or two, then dies out. The strange thing is that when I go to check the rotor, its no longer lined up. I recently replaced the timing chain, and I know that the chain dots are lined up ( I even re-took it apart to make sure :( ) I've tried all I can think of, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda stuck, I just want the thing to be drivable. Thanks all.

• Sponsors (?)

Your rotor doesn't line up with what? Your rotor should line up with the number one plug wire electrode on the cap, ONLY when the number cylinder is at the top of its compression stroke. If you line up your timing marks, it should either match up or be 180 out, depending on which stroke the #1 cylinder is in.

Do you mean that it keeps moving from the timing marks (chain slipping)?

Are you sure your carburetor bowls are filling with fuel? If you have a mechanical fuel pump, you did remember to reinsatll the fuel pump eccentric, didn't you?

I hope this helps...

The rotor doesn't line up with the number 1 cylinder or being 180 out. And yes, I'm checking this when its at the top of the compression stroke, i've pulled the first plug around 25 times to verify.
I know the fuel pump eccentric is back in, it is even spitting fuel out the top of the carb to remind me that it has fuel. It has spark, and I have oil pressure.
The rotor will Start off lined up with number 1 wire, then once the car is attempted to start, it sometimes starts for a second or two, then quickly dies. When I put it back to TDC and pull the cap, the rotor is niether lined up with #1 wire or 180 out. I hope I've made some more sense.....I don't know how else to explain it.