Tips For A Non Ford Guy

Mrp988

Aug 6, 2017
Back in 2012 I sold a Buick Grand National project. I wanted to pick up a '63 Pontiac Catalina 389/4 speed but my wife talked me into a '69 Mustang coupe. It's a 302 (correct engine), automatic, 3.00 gears, manual steering manual 4 wheel drum. I gave $1800 for the car and it came with floor pans, some frame rails, and a definite 1980's custom dash. I bought it without hearing it run based on the guy who worked on it (not the owner) saying it ran well. It has a 600 Edelbrock, mid length headers, a Performer 289 intake, and a pretty lumpy cam of unknown grind.

It's running now, carries good oil pressure (65 psi), and moved under its own power. Other than body work what else should I look at? I want a strong street runner. I know it needs a brake upgrade but what can I make work out of a junkyard? I'm used to heavy full size GM cars as my baby is a '66 Catalina. What kind of gear ratio works well for a car that would probably only get up to 65 mph on the highway as I'm never in a hurry. Getting up to the 65 I'd like a strong puller. As an afterthought, I did add an aluminum radiator and a good size flex fan.

• Sponsors (?)

The 79 granada disk brake swap and booster is what i put in my 66 coupe, works great. Had to get a custom bushing for the tie rod and the booster was a lil trouble to fit but I like it. 3.0 is a pretty low rearend gear but see how it pulls n if yr not happy w it you can step it up.

shem