tips on replacing your fox power window motor

Jawbone

Jan 17, 2010
B.C., Canada
Make sure the window is full up if possible, I used some duct tape and cardboard wedges to hold it up re Ford Manual. Remove door panel. I stabilized the regulator arm with some duct tape (manual says to do it) by putting it through the speaker hole and the hole at 11:00 to the speaker. Disconnect your battery. Unplug the power window motor. Unscrew the 3 screws holding the motor in place and remove. Grease the gear on the motor. It's a little trickey getting the new motor in place. I suggest taping the mounting screws to the socket driver to make the job easier. When attaching the motor, get the screws turned in maybe 3-5 turns so it holds but are still loose, put pressure on the back of the motor and flick your power window button until you feel the gear engage with the regulator arm. You should be able to see or feel the motor torque once it's engaged. Hold the motor tight to the inside door and tighten the screws. Ford's manual says to torque down the screws 4-7 lb ft., but my motor was after market so I didn't go over 4 lb ft.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the tips Jawbone. Good timing since BOTH of my windows appear to need new motors. My drivers window is stuck full down and we are having a lot of rain this week!
Thanks again for the info.
Ken

Great tip! Question, my driver side window is stuck down. I have not dug into it with a test light or anything yet...too damn cold :notnice:

I was told if you have a run down battery that is NOT producing a solid 11-12 volts, your power windows might not work? Is there truth to that? Iam going to fix this window once my garage is not FREEZING, but I want to know what the priority list is and where to start first. Correct me if I'm wrong..
1. Strong battery
2. Functioning switch panel on door
3. window motor

do I have this right? Did I miss anything? Thanks in advance!!!!

I can't say for sure about a run down battery. What I noticed was that the window was getting slower and slower to move, usually means it's toast but I would save the old power unit just in case someone comes up with a technique to save it. I don't think it takes a lot of juice to raise a power window, if your starter turns the motor, odds are that your battery has enough power. Definitely check that your switch is working. I've held off doing much work because of the temp, getting warmer now.
If your window is stuck down, I'd remove the door panel and try to manually lift it while using the power window motor, you should try to get it up before working on it according to the Ford.
HTH
Jawbone