Tire Choices 17 Inch Rims

SF Lex

Advanced Member
Mar 8, 2016
CoCo County, California
I need two rear tires at the moment for my 92 GT. There are so many different choices, can someone advise which to choose. I only cruise my 5.0 on weekends here and there. Not a daily driver, but want some decent performance tires. What is a good brand ? For performance, but not high class. I am not a racer, just a cruiser, and do hit the gas here and there. My size is 245 40 17.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well since you put it that way rule out nitto. General exclaim uhp was a good one but not sure if they are still in production. Sumitomo makes a good entry level tire as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I have the Sumitomo brand on the front of my car. They have wore well and performed fine. For the rear I have the Nitto's but probably not what you're looking for. I like a 275/40 in the rear. They just look right to me and like as much tire as I can get. I ran Falken tires in the past and Goodyears. Didn't like the Goodyears much. Too stiff of a compound for me and they didn't wear well.

Reactions: 1 user
Well since you put it that way rule out nitto. General exclaim uhp was a good one but not sure if they are still in production. Sumitomo makes a good entry level tire as well.
Nitto tires have a very strange pattern. They don't seem like they would last long ? I like meat, so that it last long.
The Michelin Pilot Sport look good, but too expensive.
s-l1600.jpg

Have you heard of Yokohama tires, any good ? I like to have major grip on the road. I wonder if these are cool.
s-l1600.jpg

I've had Yokohama truck tires. If they were on sale is buy them again. If their summer/sport pass car line followed the same quality they may be a good choice.

Hey fellas, I don't want to hurt your feelings about sumitomo.. I'm glad you have had good luck with them.. However- I have two friends who have both put brand new sumitomo tires on their mustangs and the tread let go of the tire before 10k miles. Major seperation. After seeing that I'd be terrified of hauling a$$ with those on my car. They also refuse to buy them now... They have a pretty bad rep over here in my hood.

I've been running with success a brand called nankang on my front wheels. They are made in South Korea, not China.. So there's that. They handle really well and have done 150 mph a couple of times without killing me. My buddy I sold my sn car to ran them also and loved them..he's who I found out about them through. I'll probably in all honesty lose them for Nitto soon just for safety at high speed, but they've been really good for a cheap tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey fellas, I don't want to hurt your feelings about sumitomo.. I'm glad you have had good luck with them.. However- I have two friends who have both put brand new sumitomo tires on their mustangs and the tread let go of the tire before 10k miles. Major seperation. After seeing that I'd be terrified of hauling a$$ with those on my car. They also refuse to buy them now... They have a pretty bad rep over here in my hood.

I've been running with success a brand called nankang on my front wheels. They are made in South Korea, not China.. So there's that. They handle really well and have done 150 mph a couple of times without killing me. My buddy I sold my sn car to ran them also and loved them..he's who I found out about them through. I'll probably in all honesty lose them for Nitto soon just for safety at high speed, but they've been really good for a cheap tire.
Good to know! Thanks for the info. I've only put about 3k miles on mine.

Thanks for the references all. I see some great choices you guys have. After lots of researching i found some to be at the speed ratibng, and design i like. I will be hitting my local Costco and ordering these. They are around the price range i wanted for a decent street tire that has much performance for wet, and dry, plus great breaking, and good speed rating. Never heard of these, but something is calling me to them, like the ring in the Lord of the Rings movie, lol ..
http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/pilot-super-sport.html
pilot_super_sport_Persp.png

mIchelin's are fantastic tires, but pricey. I didn't see them in a 275/40/17 as available?
I have 245/40/17 in the rears. I am unsure if i can put a 275 on the rears. I am torn up between the
Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3
and the
Pilot® Super Sport
Ultra-High Performance Sport
Very touch choice. But i believe as you said they are pricey. Although tires are very important, and dependability plays a huge part in what you roll on. One of these will be on my rims soon enough.

Bfg g-force sport. Good grip, decent longevity, excellent wet manners, not that expensive, and made in USA. They do have a bit of road noise though (not really noticeable with an aftermarket exhaust). Have em on both my stangs, couldn't really find a better bang for the buck tire. Theyre also often used as an autocross/open track tire.

Bfg g-force sport. Good grip, decent longevity, excellent wet manners, not that expensive, and made in USA. They do have a bit of road noise though (not really noticeable with an aftermarket exhaust). Have em on both my stangs, couldn't really find a better bang for the buck tire. Theyre also often used as an autocross/open track tire.
Ay yes, BFG tires. I purchased some of their best for my 4x4, road noise was loud, but i don't have an exhaust on it. I never realized how loud the BFG's were until i got new tires on my truck and decided to go with Firestone tires. What a difference that made. I'll keep these in mind. I might just do these in the front. Thanks