Tire Pressure Monitors, Are they needed?

MyGG

May 14, 2010
Indiana
Anyone know if you can shut off the tire pressure sensors with a hand held programmer? I was thinking of a new set of wheels at sometime, but would prefer not to spend the extra money for sensors, etc. (gives me an excuse to get a programmer without spending much extra over the sensors:nice:) I haven't seen anywhere that actually shows a readout of the pressures, and since they aren't runflats can't you just check the pressures the old way from time to time?

• Sponsors (?)

No they can't be turned off. it's federal mandate to have TPMS on vehicles so there is no "switch". Are you going to use your factory wheels for the winter? If not then just pull your factory sensors off, get new universal straps and put your sensors on the new wheels.

The tire shops around here now have a policy that, if your car is so equipped, the TPMS sensors have to be installed and working before they'll release the car back to you. Apparently the courts consider them experts that should know better than to bypass "safety" systems even on the instructions of the owner.

Before about 6 months ago, I would have told you they were stupid. "I can check my own damn tire pressure!" :mad:

Then I had the sensor go off on the way to work one day, so I pulled over at a gas station. My right front tire was indeed almost flat. I had hit a nail or something and the TPS let me know in time to have the tire fixed. They actually do serve a purpose.

My last car I didnt have them on my winter wheels/tires. You just have to put up with a constant warning light & realize you need to check the pressure yourself time to time.

I agree. I usually check my tires, too, but I've had them help me out on more than one occaision. I believe the bands are about $30 for a whole set. So it'll cost you $30 for the bands, plus a few extra bucks to have the old wheels/tires disassembled.

2010s don't use bands---they use a less bulky schader valve stem that includes the sensor. I paid $40 each for them from Tire warehouse.
Looking at that dash warning would drive me crazy---and you drive a $40K car--why nickel & dime it?

Dont know about these other guys but my car wasn't anywhere near $40K, and if I had bough a $40k car I'd be nickel and dimeing a lot more than just car stuff. Just to try to get the thing payed off :)