Paint and Body Tire size for pony’s

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
Didn’t really know which prefix to use for this so apologies if it’s wrong. I saw a picture on Instagram of a fox that has the exact look I’m going for as far as wheel/tires goes. There was no owner tagged so I can’t ask directly so I’m turning to you all for help on identifying the tire size front and rear on these pony’s
D2798EB7-F9C7-432F-8D1C-32F31E09DFA0.jpeg

I’ve heard 245s are as big as you can fit on a pony but the rears look bigger than that to my eyes

• Sponsors (?)

That's likely a 275 tire.

Pony wheels are 7" wide. There are general guidelines to tires size limitations to rim widths. If look up a particular tire you want and look at the recommended rim widths, you won't find a 7" wheel recommended for any 275 width tire. As a guideline, 2" over the size of the rim width is about the most many manufacturers will go. So for a 7" rim, that would be 9" or roughly a 225 tire, which is what comes on them. Plenty of guys have gone 245 but now you start getting bulge.

The issue with bulge is that while it looks good, it creates a lot of sidewall flex. If you went to the rear of that car and rocked it side to side, you would see the car moving on sidewall flex alone. This creates some not-so-good handling characteristics, especially if you take a hard corner and the sidewall starts to roll over on itself. It also can create issues in straight line acceleration.

Looks badass i agree, but from a functional standpoint, a 245 would probably be a better choice. For 275, you are better off getting some 9" wide rims.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
That's likely a 275 tire.

Pony wheels are 7" wide. There are general guidelines to tires size limitations to rim widths. If look up a particular tire you want and look at the recommended rim widths, you won't find a 7" wheel recommended for any. As a guideline, 2" over the size of the rim width is about the most many manufacturers will go. So for a 7" rim, that would be 9" or roughly a 225 tire, which is what comes on them. Plenty of guys have gone 245 but now you start getting bulge.

The issue with bulge is that while it looks good, it creates a lot of sidewall flex. If you went to the rear of that car and rocked it side to side, you would see the car moving on sidewall flex alone. This creates some not-so-good handling characteristics, especially if you take a hard corner and the sidewall starts to roll over on itself. It also can create issues in straight line acceleration.

Looks badass i agree, but from a functional standpoint, a 245 would probably be a better choice. For 275, you are better off getting some 9" wide rims.
Great explanation. I figured that much poke couldn’t be good. I’ll stick with the 245/50/16 and 225/55/16s I have in my shopping cart then. Thanks