Wheels-Tires Tire sizes. 18x9 front and rear

• Sponsors (?)

Wheels on. I put both fronts on one side to take a look at fit. I’m doing 18x9 all around but both these wheels have 245/40/18 on them.

IMG_4116.jpeg

Up front, the tire hits the coil over spring even with 8mm of spacer. However I realized I tightened my strut bolts with the strut pushed in. I think if I loosen and pull out, that will gain me the clearance I need to run no spacer up front.

Out back, the wheel is too sucked in. Almost needs to come out 1/2” I’ve got half a finger to the tailpipe with 245s. I wanted to stick a 275/35/18 on back.

IMG_4123.jpeg

Let me correct the front and verify I can get it to fit without hitting the spring. Then I will focus on the rear. I’m running fox lenght axles,
But this fit makes me think I should have stuck with SN95.

I don’t have enough stud lenght to run 1/2” spacer. Would need to install longer studs which I don’t want to do.

6.38”

I’m wondering if I stuff my SN95 axles back in. Wish I had a 3/4” spacer to test fit with.

Do 275s on a 9” wheel bulge, or are they fairly square?

IMG_4128.jpeg

Alternative is I buy a MM 1/2” spacer and extended studs. Another $200. The SN axles add 3/4”. Need to play with some offset/BD calculators to see where I land compared to my old SN95 17x8 and 255 combo

My 18x9 rims are +24mm offset and I needed an 8mm spacer so my rim would not hit my coil over spring. Here is rim to spring clearance after the spacer.
20220129_104649.jpg

So same rim offset on the rear and I'm using the same 8mm spacer with a 275/35 tire. Driver side I can put a finger between tire and exhaust (also Flowmaster 2.5 tailpipes). The level is touching the wheel opening lip and standing vertical.

20220526_230706.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I think these wheels sit deeper, which is weird because up front, i have a little bit of poke going on, albeit with 96+ spindles and 8mm of spacer.

I think I can address the front though. I'm 99% sure i tightened the strut bolts with the strut pushed in, per the MM directions for the coil-over kit. I'm going to try pulling the strut outwards to see what sort of difference that makes. That should open the angle up a degree or so and that will widen the gap between tire and spring. Will it be enough? We shall see. Will i be able to get the camber set? We shall see

1691068106179.png

Out back, i think i'll buy a stack of washers and stack them on the lugs to simulate a 1/2" and 3/4" spacer. Then i can kinda judge where the wheel needs to sit. If 1/2" is the best, that's a spacer from MM and extended studs for $200 Alex. Ugh

This is a very interesting calculator tool

265/40/18 is also in consideration. I actually think this is the recommended max for a 9". Will reduce bulge and the OD is 26.3". As a comparison, my current 255/45/17 were 26.0" in OD so only a 0.3" difference in the rear. I actually liked the slightly taller tire out back as my previous setup was 25" up front and 26" out back. Now it will be 25.7" and 26.3" if i go 265/40/18. It may increase the risk of the tailpipe contact, but the more I stare at these numbers the more I think I need to go back to SN95 axles, or get a 1/2" spacer and longer studs.

I ordered up some washers to use to test fit. Should give me a visual on the car that will help.

Last edited:
I think you will need 14mm of spacers to get your rim positioned where mine is.

I think you are right. My studs aren't long enough for that.

That's why i ordered the rear wheels. Even though I only have one rim for now. I want to see where it sits by stacking washers. I think 14-15mm will be ideal. Sn95 axles would put me at 19mm.

Sn95 axles would be $20 for the gear lube and time spent, plus i'd sell off my Fox moser axles and caliper offset brackets to recoop some cost. Maybe $300 back in my pocket plus no spacer use. Spacer and studs is $200 more and time spent. Not sure which one is more of a PITA

I want to bolt a wheel/tire up and then make the decision. Getting it installed on Monday. If i can get away with 0.75" of spacer (19mm), i'll toss the SN95 axles back in.

I think these are the studs I would need to run

With the MM 1/2" spacer (13mm)

Last edited:
So I have had zero wear issues with several sets of 275/40R17's on either of my cars on a 9" wide rear wheels. Manufacturers will give a range so they can sell more tires and I will say if you put a 275 on an 11" wide tire it will looked stretched like a 245 on a 9" wide wheel.

Adjusted the front strut. Loosened the two nuts and pulled outwards and tightened.

Result. No spacer needed. However my front brake certainly drags for some reason. Might be hydroboost related.

Anyway, had to dial in a little camber due to poke, but I can live with this. Need to back out and check turn radius still. It’s close to the coil spring, but there’s space.

Fronts…nearly all seT
IMG_4137.jpeg
IMG_4136.jpeg

Out back, I stacked all my spacers. 16mm in total.

Looks to me I can still go out. SN95 axles would be 19mm of spacer. I think that, with a 265/40/18 will fit nicely.

I’m mounting one rear Monday. Will test fit with one more stack of 0.100” washer to confirm fit and then pull the axles…again.

I don’t want to run a spacer, especially if I have the parts. Means my 4-mile moser axles and offset brackets will be up for sale….

IMG_4138.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg
IMG_4139.jpeg