Tires

• Sponsors (?)

yeah they will fit :rolleyes: but you are opening up a can of worms here. there are going to be people arguing about whether it's safe or not, & whether it looks good or not :rolleyes:
i personally wouldn't do it cause the rear end feels too "loose" to me in corners. but other people on here say its just fine. oh, and you will get tire bulge unless your running a 9" rim

c2see21 said:
yeah they will fit :rolleyes: but you are opening up a can of worms here. there are going to be people arguing about whether it's safe or not, & whether it looks good or not :rolleyes:
i personally wouldn't do it cause the rear end feels too "loose" to me in corners. but other people on here say its just fine. oh, and you will get tire bulge unless your running a 9" rim
Tire bulge???

I did it for a little over six months til i got my 10th anniversary wheels. Will it fit, yes...was it the best handling car, no...but it worked for me. You arent getting the full advantage of the tire on your factory wheels, but if you are planning on upgrading wheels later, but you need tires now, then yes go ahead and put them on your stockers.

dragginuts said:
I did it for a little over six months til i got my 10th anniversary wheels. Will it fit, yes...was it the best handling car, no...but it worked for me. You arent getting the full advantage of the tire on your factory wheels, but if you are planning on upgrading wheels later, but you need tires now, then yes go ahead and put them on your stockers.
Did you at least get a little better traction with them on factory wheels.

This has been argued over a lot. It seems according to some people it works great. According to tire manufacturers you shouldnt do it. Its your choice and depends on if you are going for looks or performance. A good thing to do is go to a tire site and see what size rim they reccomend for each tire. Here is a link to the BFG drag radial wheel to tire size chart.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Comp+T/A+Drag+Radial

For a 275/40/17 bfg drag radial the reccomend a 9-11 inch rim. The tires section width is 11 inches (distance between sidewalls). Tread width is 10.2 inches(contact patch).

wht99gtconv said:
Did you at least get a little better traction with them on factory wheels.

yes i did get better traction in this period of time with the 275s on my factory wheels. I had the Nittos, and I could still break it loose through third gear though. But once I got the new rims my traction improved greatly.

new22003 said:
This has been argued over a lot. It seems according to some people it works great. According to tire manufacturers you shouldnt do it. Its your choice and depends on if you are going for looks or performance. A good thing to do is go to a tire site and see what size rim they reccomend for each tire. Here is a link to the BFG drag radial wheel to tire size chart.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Comp+T/A+Drag+Radial

For a 275/40/17 bfg drag radial the reccomend a 9-11 inch rim. The tires section width is 11 inches (distance between sidewalls). Tread width is 10.2 inches(contact patch).

All tire manufacturers recommend a 9-11 inch rim for 275/40-17 tires and most tire shops will not mount them on rims outside the range recommended by the manufacturer. There are safety concerns - like the possibility of the tire coming off the rim during a hard turn... :nice:

Discount Tire has a configurator on their website that mentions 275/40/17s as being ok and spoke to one of their managers there, but still not sure this is the best size :shrug: and I am in the same boat... wanting something for blow down country roads, NOT for the drag strip...