to clean MAF or not to clean

donnie84

Oct 2, 2004
my car was pinging a lot between 3k and 4.5k. i got a tune up and use 93 octane. i recently used seafoam (1/2 in brake booster line and half in tank) and it seems to ping alot less. i plan on using one more can and cleaning the MAF when i replace my air filter with a demolet CAI. my one friend said cleaning the MAF isnt good unless you are pulling a MAF code. is it ok to clean MAF anyway? will this and the new filter and seafoam again solve my problem most likely? and if i dont have a CEL on will i still be able to pull codes wit ha digital code reader? my rear main seal was leakign and i am getting taht and the clutch replaced on monday (hopefully) so i figured the oil that was leaking gummed up the 02's. ok sry for the long post, thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

clean for sure, PPL say there extremely fragile, unless you have lost feeling in your hands I dont see how you can break that wire.

Im not saying its strong but you just stroke it with a Q tip not JAM it in there like a barbarian.

Use throttle body cleaner, I think thats the name. Mine was called INTAKE MEDIC. Its the stuff you take ur rubber boot off with and spray in your TB. I've heard carb cleaner works too im sure there almost the same thing but some ppl say not to use carb cleaner.

There is a Ford technical service bulletien that advises not to clean your MAF that way. But I used electronics cleaner on my Pro-M 80mm and noticed a small difference in voltage that helped a little with the driveability of my car.