To hell with the 4:10 gears on my daily driver?

\\J//

Aug 31, 2009
SSF, CA
Everyone here knows how much gas 4 10 gears swallow but my main question is how much compared to stock 2 73 or 3 08? i also have a aod in it aswell so you know what that means.. What lower gear ratio should i go with this is my daily car i love the idea of the extra spins on the rear wheels and hate the fact ill have to settle for less due to the lack of money nowadays but if the gears play a big part in mpg i could use the little extra gas money to buy some lunch every day...

:rolleyes: well.. hey, im just a broke college kid give me some pointers thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

if anything i think they would help gas milage around town with your aod. id never go with that high of gear on a stick car but thats not the case. i say do it! alot more grunt and i really see it helping you.

And i have a bridge to sell you guys...Come on no way you get that kind of mileage...I have a 93 GT convertible AOD...it had 3.27's in it and i do 95% HIGHWAY the best i ever got was like 20 mpg..The rear blew on the car so i went with 3.73's and i get maybe 18.5 tops on the highway now...and i do not DRIVE this car fast at all..60-65 mph taching at 2200-2300 rpms...so what is wrong with my car why am i not seeing 20's ????? :(..Oh yeah the only mods it has is the Air silencer removed..K&N air filter,OFF road H pipe and 2 old flowmaster mufflers on the stock tailpipes...:shrug:..so i cant say its my Modded motor sucking up gas...lol....

I gotcha. I was actually referring to the OP. If he's running a 4.10 now dropping down to a 2.73/3.08 is going to feel dreadful.

Oops sorry....:D I do love the 3.73's tho...the car feels so much more responsive now...I wish i had some extra cash..i would do a Shift kit a mild torque convertor and a 100 shot..this car would be pretty quick i think...But all my MOD money goes toward my 87 GT that is getting GT40 stuff and has a Paxton already...Im undetermed if i should go 4.10's in that car i was thinking 3.73's but maybe ill just go 4.10's...tha will have a better head and should pull a little beter RPM's with the 1.72 roller rockers and upgraded spring kit on the GT40's...:shrug:

Oops sorry....:D I do love the 3.73's tho...the car feels so much more responsive now...I wish i had some extra cash..i would do a Shift kit a mild torque convertor and a 100 shot..this car would be pretty quick i think...But all my MOD money goes toward my 87 GT that is getting GT40 stuff and has a Paxton already...Im undetermed if i should go 4.10's in that car i was thinking 3.73's but maybe ill just go 4.10's...tha will have a better head and should pull a little beter RPM's with the 1.72 roller rockers and upgraded spring kit on the GT40's...:shrug:
Yep. I did the 3.73 and shift kit together (up from a 2.73) and it absolutely woke the car up. Especially at passing speeds. Eventually I will upgrade the stock converter. The car's still a dog off the line but I bought it to be more of a cruiser anyway. It was supposed to remain "stock" but you know how that goes. "I'm not modding this one!" :rlaugh:

And i have a bridge to sell you guys...Come on no way you get that kind of mileage...I have a 93 GT convertible AOD...so what is wrong with my car why am i not seeing 20's ?????

That is exactly what's wrong with it. It's about as heavy as a bridge (a very large bridge) and it's an AOD. My bolt-on '88 LX with 3.55s and a 5 spd gets 17-18 around town hammering on it pretty often, and the one highway trip I've done it got 28, and I definitely could have milked more out of it if I tried.

That is exactly what's wrong with it. It's about as heavy as a bridge (a very large bridge) and it's an AOD. My bolt-on '88 LX with 3.55s and a 5 spd gets 17-18 around town hammering on it pretty often, and the one highway trip I've done it got 28, and I definitely could have milked more out of it if I tried.

Alot of people say the GT vert is so heavy what is it about maybe 300 pounds more the an Full dress GT maybe?...Yeah an LX i can see there lite....I dont think my VERT is 3800 lbs...lol...maybe 3400?....:shrug:And for my daily Highway is highway i had 3.27's and i went to 3.73's so i can see a difference in gas mileage my driving habits didnt change the only i changed was gears...so i know for a fact that if i had say 4.10's it would even be worse..IMO....

And i have a bridge to sell you guys...Come on no way you get that kind of mileage...

You know the saying...."Men lie about 2 things....their gas mileage, and..." fill in the rest lol.

Personally, i never beleive ANYONE's fuel economy...or my own. There are just way too many variables and people tend to lean towards the higher side of things. Most of us are running aftermarket gears, with different size tires, on speedometers that are nearly 20 years old. Plus unless you fill up at the EXACT same pump, there is noway to tell if the nozzle filled the tank to the same level as previously. When was the last time you had your speedometer certified? And pacing your friends car or driving past a speed sign doesn't count. I've calculated my MPG using the old fill the tank and hit the trip reset button method. My car also has a built in calculator. I once did it over 3 tanks in my G35, and came up with 23MPG on my own. I checked the car's computer, and it was 20MPG. So 3MPG difference right there alone.

Personally, i couldn't hit 20MPG on my fox if you towed me behind a prius. I find it hard to beleive guys are driving their modded Foxes like their is an egg between the gas pedal and their foot and getting 25MPG with them. Ford couldn't even get that back in the day. I think the EPA mileage was 23MPG with the AOD on the highway, and that was using the old standard which overrated it slightly. I would think if some simple mods like 3.73's, etc improved fuel economy by 3-5MPG and still passed emissions, Ford would have did it from the factory.

But every so often, you get the "I make 423HP to the wheels and get 27MPG!". If that were true...you should apply at Ford.