To the guys with 4.10's and the AODE - Does it need a chip???

NEEDA5.0

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2002
After installing the 4.10's the car is shifting bad during the 2-3 shift. It feels like its slipping really bad. Do I need to get a custom chip to tell the computer about the gear change since 4.10's weren't a fatory option? Can the 4.10's cause this type of problem? Who do you recommend for the chip?

Thanks Guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I had 4.10s in my mustang and yes, you need a chip with 4.10s, unless you want to shift manually at WOT. Otherwise it will hit the rev limiter. I don't remember having a 2-3 shift problem when driving normally though. Is it just going to high rpms before it shifts into 3rd?

No, it's shifting at close to 6K and the rpm surge during the shift like its slipping. The shift is was too smooth. I don't remember it doing this before the 4.10's. It shifts fine when I'm driving normally. I only get this at WOT.

Yep, out near Joliet. I'm glad all I need is a chip. Do you think those track times are because of the shifting problem? The 1-2 shift is great, but that 2-3 is terrible. Well there goes another $225.

Go to www.tccoa.com go to tect then tranny. Look under tranny 101 and in around page 12 there is a way to drill out the valve body so the trans will shift sooner. This was written by jerry that use to be at fordchip but now he is at superchips. If you have any questions on the mod let me know.

Well, I ordered a stage 3 chip from diablo today. The computer was a pin in the a$$ to get out though. It'll be here on Mon or Tues, I'll update you after the install.

NEEDA5.0 said:
Well, I ordered a stage 3 chip from diablo today. The computer was a pin in the a$$ to get out though. It'll be here on Mon or Tues, I'll update you after the install.
SHould have gone with a TwEECer and change your own damn shift points and rev limiter. I think the TwEECer is an awesome investment, but moreso if you have an AODE!
RC

Theres reasons to get the tweecer and reasons to get the chip. But yes, you will need a chip. You will definetly want to move the rev limiter up. Hitting it will get really frustrating. Also, you will want to change the shift points. The gears go through the stock shift points too quickly. I miss my AODE. :( I have a T5 now with 3.73s and it just doesnt come close to my AODE with 4.10s and a shift kit.

Found out its $318. A regular Diablo chip is $218 but I need a "custom" chip because it needs to be setup for the 4.10's. At least the reprogramming is free for future mods. It'll be here Monday.

i never had a problem with my 4.10 and aode with a shift kit. the only times i woudl have a problem would be when i was already in 2nd or 3rd gear and tried to floor it. had to let off the gas around 5100rpms and mash it back down to shift her. never ever had a problem from the line tho. shifted perfectly through all the gears.....that is until i started to shift manaully and wore out second gear and first gear followed not long after :D