TOB or Pilot bearing? or both?

RobertLF42

Feb 14, 2011
hello everyone.. i have a 01 Mustang gt with the tremec 3650... now im getting a real loud noise from the clutch.. you can hear it loud when the clutch pedal is pressed.. and also when it is free.. but not as loud.. im looking to just put in a new clutch and also the pilot and throw out bearing.. and pray that fixes the problem.. but i just wanted to ask.. what else can make that noise? it sounds like a really loud sqeak whining noise.. like a bad belt.. but much louder.

• Sponsors (?)

My money is on the TOB. It's most heavily loaded when the pedal is depressed and that's when it would make the most noise. The pilot does not actually turn when the clutch pedal is released. That is, when the input shaft of the transmission is turning at the same speed as the crank (as when the clutch pedal is released), there's no relative rotation in the pilot bearing so it wouldn't make noise.

Just as well, replace both when you're that deep into it.

why shouldnt i replace it all?? they are charging me $200 for labor and it wont be worth it if i just put on the throw out bearing.. i might as well replace the pilot bearing and clutch while the tranny is down...

lol... i understang.. but i freaking hope the noise goes away after the new bearings and clutch.. i really dont have that much money if it ends up being in the tranny.. but i highly doubt it because every gear goes in smoothly..

Mine is doing something similar to yours, only, it chirps when the clutch is NOT pressed. Pressing the clutch seems to make the noise stop. I was told that this is a pilot bearing issue, but, why not replace both TOB and pilot while he's in there. Hell for that matter, why not go ahead and replace all of the clutch components to prevent myself from having to pay another few hundred bucks for them to drop the transmission! Hope you get your ride fixed man. I know your pain. Everything on my car is mint aside from this f*cking chirp. Sounds like I have a mutant cricket stuck in my bell housing. ESPECIALLY when it is in neutral and I rev the engine to about 3k RPM. Once it slows down to idle, the chirp goes away for the most part.

why not replace both TOB and pilot while he's in there

Hmmmm... Think this is what I said in your thread.

Hell for that matter, why not go ahead and replace all of the clutch components to prevent myself from having to pay another few hundred bucks for them to drop the transmissio

Now you're talking.

Hope you get your ride fixed man.

I'm fairly certain he's got this wrapped up by now. This thread is from 2011. :O_o:

thanks for the sarcastic replies. Obviously it's an old post. Sure wish you seasoned guys would give us newbies a little wiggle room. Damn.

We do. You notice that your questions are in fact, being answered. The longer you are here the easier it will be to recognize a light jab in the ribs versus an actual flaming. :p

Joking aside: It is considered bad form to go into a forum and just spray your problems over multiple threads. What you should do is create your thread and allow time for it to attract attention and get an answer.

In order to help prevent another SNAFU: Now that you have a thread started and once you get all of the answers that you need in order to resolve your current issue, I would recommend that you begin your very own [Progress Thread] in the Talk section. This has many advantages.

1. People get to know you and more importantly [your car].
2. Every issue you ever have with this car and all discussion about those issues would them be contained all within one thread. This makes it much easier for gear heads to either search or go back and review information in your thread to see if something in the car's past might be influences current events.
3. You gather interest in what's going on with the car from the same gearheads. They will (without fail) suggest (at exhaustion) all of the things they might modify if they owned your car or [not] modify. This goes a very long way in helping you to discover exactly [what] questions you should be asking.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your car! :nice:

Thicker skin will come with time :jester:

BTW... These are only suggestions. I am a Noob as well :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user