took almost 3 seconds off my ET, comparing time slips

gxnos

Founding Member
Apr 14, 2002
Birmingham, MI
I was comparing old vs new timeslips, and its pretty cool.

86GT, totally stock with flowmasters (last year)
Reaction - .271
60ft - 2.173
1/8 ET - 9.561
1/8 MPH - 78.82
1/4 ET - 14.647
1/4 MPH - 93.86

Same car still bone stock motor, MPT70 pushing 9psi, 42lb injectors, C&L mass air, walbro 255, TKO trans with spec clutch
Reaction - .108
60ft - 1.859
1/8 ET - 7.847
1/8 MPH - 92.38
1/4 ET - 11.92
1/4 MPH - 117.81

Car is still totally stock from the throttle body to the oil pan, stock suspension, stock brakes. This was on BFG drag radials at 30 psi. I had to baby it in 1st, and I hit the rev limiter in 4th and coasted the rest of the way down the track. I believe I will hit low 11s at a little over 120 with this setup.

In car videos of both runs!

YouTube - Mustang at lapeer 5-2-09

YouTube - milan 4-21-10 turbo mustang

• Sponsors (?)

what gears are you running? and you should air those BFG's down to like 18psi and take a pound out every pass until they start working. If you are trapping 117 and the car has anything less then 4.10's in it i'd guess your clutch might be slipping

I'm amazed that your 60 ft times DROPPED after adding power and doing nothing to the suspension. I'd say that a good portion of your improvement might also have something to do with some improved driving skills too! :nice:

Nice numbers!!!! What turbo kit is that...What type of tuning do you have...
thanks! its the on3 kit with a MP T70 turbo with an SCT chip, tuned by lidio

what gears are you running? and you should air those BFG's down to like 18psi and take a pound out every pass until they start working. If you are trapping 117 and the car has anything less then 4.10's in it i'd guess your clutch might be slipping
I should have gone into further detail. I wasn't actually hitting the rev limiter, the valves started to float at 5200-5300. I have a 3.73, so 118 is all I could get out of it. I am currently in the process of putting in FRPP valve springs. I didnt mess with the air pressure, because I drove my car to the track (70 miles each way) and didnt bring anything with me.

Was the old run on street tires? I wish I still had my timeslips from the last time I was at the track. I don't remember what my 60' was, but my car has a stock long block with a "few" other bolt ons, street tires, and hot lapped 3 times, and I managed to run a 14.4 @ 97. Stupid '86 heads... :nonono:

Every time I hear of someone throwing a turbo at a stock 5.0 I want to whip out the debit card and go to town! Those results are impressive! :nice:

Aweome thanks!!! thats the kit im buying too, How was the install any problems..I heard your videos the turbo is loud Love it..Is the blow off vented into the air?...if so thats awesome i love that sound...:nice:

install went perfect, couldnt really ask for an easier setup. I had to trim the bumper a little and oval the hole in the fender, thats about it.

Here is the dyno vid. As you can tell, BOV is not recirculated :)

YouTube - turbo 86 mustang dyno run - stock motor, 9psi

and here is the first time i drove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KhWlywcTag&feature=related

Attachments

• DSC01501 (Small).JPG
    DSC01501 (Small).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC06168 (Medium).JPG
    DSC06168 (Medium).JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 112
install went perfect, couldnt really ask for an easier setup. I had to trim the bumper a little and oval the hole in the fender, thats about it.

Here is the dyno vid. As you can tell, BOV is not recirculated :)

YouTube - turbo 86 mustang dyno run - stock motor, 9psi

and here is the first time i drove it.

YouTube - Testing out the turbo

Im going to be buying this kit for my 87 GT convertible...Im also getting his Y-pipe to so i can bolt it up the the stock cat back.Which im going to be using the summit catback it has turbo mufflers i guess simular to Dynomax mufflers i think..I cant wait to see what i put down Im going to be running GT40 heads with a 5 angle valve job mild port work,1.7 cobra roller rockers,STOCK cam Stock block,70mm TB, Track heat intake,42lb injectors,255lph gss340 fuel pump,Aermotive adjustable FPR,My car is an AOD with a nice shift kit and trans cooler,Im installing a mild stall 2500-2800 and im going to be running 3.27's..I hope to get in the low 12's...my car does weigh a little more then yours...LOL....Awesome car you have there and im so excited to see you have the on3 kit that gives me alot to look foward too!!!!!!!!:nice:

Im going to be buying this kit for my 87 GT convertible...Im also getting his Y-pipe to so i can bolt it up the the stock cat back.Which im going to be using the summit catback it has turbo mufflers i guess simular to Dynomax mufflers i think..I cant wait to see what i put down Im going to be running GT40 heads with a 5 angle valve job mild port work,1.7 cobra roller rockers,STOCK cam Stock block,70mm TB, Track heat intake,42lb injectors,255lph gss340 fuel pump,Aermotive adjustable FPR,My car is an AOD with a nice shift kit and trans cooler,Im installing a mild stall 2500-2800 and im going to be running 3.27's..I hope to get in the low 12's...my car does weigh a little more then yours...LOL....Awesome car you have there and im so excited to see you have the on3 kit that gives me alot to look foward too!!!!!!!!:nice:

I have seen cars with almost an identical setup to what you listed there, and they have gone high 10s with less than 10 psi. Good luck! It will be sweet.

For my exhaust, I just bought a single 3.5" exhaust pipe with a turn down and just welded it up. No need for Y pipes, mufflers, tail pipes, etc... its turbo!

Was the old run on street tires? I wish I still had my timeslips from the last time I was at the track. I don't remember what my 60' was, but my car has a stock long block with a "few" other bolt ons, street tires, and hot lapped 3 times, and I managed to run a 14.4 @ 97. Stupid '86 heads... :nonono:

Every time I hear of someone throwing a turbo at a stock 5.0 I want to whip out the debit card and go to town! Those results are impressive! :nice:

You should do it. I've seen some pretty amazing results with turbo systems over the top of those crappy heads. I can't explain it. What's more, I remember one instance where the dude retained the speed density system and tune with a TwEECer R/T. I wonder if the same could be done with a more capable system like the Anderson PMS. No idea if the PMS is compatible with the SD EEC.

I have seen cars with almost an identical setup to what you listed there, and they have gone high 10s with less than 10 psi. Good luck! It will be sweet.

For my exhaust, I just bought a single 3.5" exhaust pipe with a turn down and just welded it up. No need for Y pipes, mufflers, tail pipes, etc... its turbo!

Well that would be awesome...to run 10's but i would be happy with 12's high 11s...:nice:..I have to go with a 6 point roll bar as it is anything faster then 13.4 in a convertible It needs that and a safety harness ....True about the exhaust...I might just do that...:D.Really cant wait to start this build the car has been apart now for months..I was going with a supercharger at 1st Thats what was on the car when i bought it....but then i said WOW turbo it is!!!!!!!

Wait what? no way? OP do you have some different angles of the turbo piping? I was under the impression you needed to swap kmembers. I was going to pull the trigger in the fall on a vortech sci trim, but eff that for the same price i'd rather go turbo!

Wait what? no way? OP do you have some different angles of the turbo piping? I was under the impression you needed to swap kmembers. I was going to pull the trigger in the fall on a vortech sci trim, but eff that for the same price i'd rather go turbo!
sure, see attached pics below. also the whole kit only cost $1800

What kind of gauge is the one on the very right? Tell me that's not your wideband it was bouncing all over the place!
no, its just the camera. the frequency is similar to the update rate of the wideband, so it looks like its flashing on the camera. kinda like video taping the TV. It was in the 11s the whole way down :)

Attachments

• DSC01496 (Small).JPG
    DSC01496 (Small).JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Running! 004 (Small).jpg
    Running! 004 (Small).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 106