Tourque Box Repair ???

TrickFlowd

May 17, 2003
Sayre, PA
I'm sure some of you have done this...since its one of the weakest points on our chassis. How extensive is this? Anyone have any suggestions? Should I bolt or weld in Battle Boxes...or do both (weld then bolt)? I plan to purchase this upper and lower combo kit eventhough my lowers are damaged only. I figure I might as well do both at the same time.

http://www.wildridesracecars.com/chassis3.html

Any info is greatly appreciated. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I would personally weld them. Bolt holes can elongate, so they may move around and not be of much help. I haven't done them on my car, so someone will have to chime in on how extensive a process it is.

I just installed them over the weekend. The lowers were easy. The tops were a real pain. The instructions says the drill the two 1/2" holes on the uppers as straight as possible. I found it best to drill them at a going at the same angle as the top of the torque box so the bolts sit flush with the top of the torque box. The two 3/8" holes that goes on the bottom of the upper goes through about 3/8" of metal and takes a while to drill.

No one was around to hold the bolts from the torque box side so I tacked them and went and tighten them up from the inside. I welded the plates inside the car. Maybe it's not necessary to weld them, but it's wasn't a problem since I have my interior out for a roll bar install.

I bought some SWR upper and lowers off of ebay for $70 and the fit and quality of the material was fine. Grade 5 hardware came with it.

I have a set that I'll be putting in soon. I just took out the whole rearend and suspension and I'm completely redoing it. I bought a set of uppers and lowers from UMI performance and had them powdercoated so they don't rust on me in a month. They are definitley worth getting if you plan on putting down a decent amount of power. Bolt them in initially and then get them welded. That way all the install work is done by you and all someone else has to do is weld them if you don't weld.

I just installed them over the weekend. The lowers were easy. The tops were a real pain. The instructions says the drill the two 1/2" holes on the uppers as straight as possible. I found it best to drill them at a going at the same angle as the top of the torque box so the bolts sit flush with the top of the torque box. The two 3/8" holes that goes on the bottom of the upper goes through about 3/8" of metal and takes a while to drill.

No one was around to hold the bolts from the torque box side so I tacked them and went and tighten them up from the inside. I welded the plates inside the car. Maybe it's not necessary to weld them, but it's wasn't a problem since I have my interior out for a roll bar install.

I bought some SWR upper and lowers off of ebay for $70 and the fit and quality of the material was fine. Grade 5 hardware came with it.

same kit i got, great quality, especially for the price! i'm about to have to tackle this as well, i've just been too lazy and after working 14hr days, going home to have to drill and weld just doesn't sound appealing right now. lol as for the OP, i have my interior out because i had to replace my pass. side quarter panel, and i checked it all out. seems pretty straight forward, just gotta drill through some thick metal for the uppers. GT_Rich just got done installing the same kit a few weeks back and he's got lots of pics. PM him, i'm sure he'll email them to you.