• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

TOYO tires

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlackPearl955.0
  • Start date Start date Jan 30, 2008

BlackPearl955.0

New Member
Jun 8, 2007
126
1
0
Blashyrkh, Wisconsin
Jan 30, 2008
#1
  • Jan 30, 2008
  • #1

Anyone try these tires?
I am leaning torward these though



Do you guys think these will be better then NITTO 555Rs?
 

Attachments

  • 18517oe4.th.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 32055gt3.th.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 31472tg1.th.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 143

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
5,589
9
98
Bethesda, MD
Jan 30, 2008
#2
  • Jan 30, 2008
  • #2
I have Proxes T1-Rs on the front, Proxes R888 (the bottom ones) on the back

I love them. The guy at the tire store says the 888s are really sticky.

I saw a Porsche 911 with the 888s in the 315 width ... so they must be pretty serious.

Expensive though
 

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
3,133
18
108
Chicagoland
Jan 30, 2008
#3
  • Jan 30, 2008
  • #3
I used to have some Toyo Proxes tires several years (7-8?) ago. I don't remember the exact model of the tire, but they got terrible traction. Grabbing second or third gear too hard broke them free with ease, and that was on a stock Mustang.
 

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
3,263
0
66
st.louis mo 314
Jan 30, 2008
#4
  • Jan 30, 2008
  • #4
A buddy of mine had the proxes (looked like the middle pic tread wise) on his gen 1 lightning. They hooked and went threw all kinds of stuff at ease, great tire.

How much do their DR type tires run for a 315/35/17?
 

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
5,589
9
98
Bethesda, MD
Jan 30, 2008
#5
  • Jan 30, 2008
  • #5
blksn955.o said:
A buddy of mine had the proxes (looked like the middle pic tread wise) on his gen 1 lightning. They hooked and went threw all kinds of stuff at ease, great tire.

How much do their DR type tires run for a 315/35/17?
Click to expand...

My 275/40/18 R888s ran me $300 a piece
 

BlackPearl955.0

New Member
Jun 8, 2007
126
1
0
Blashyrkh, Wisconsin
Jan 30, 2008
#6
  • Jan 30, 2008
  • #6
Yea but $300 is the price for a Nitto 555r and is what I payed for them when I wrapped my ponys. I love the tread pattern though on the R888 it is just something you dont see often.
Any other drag radials you guy run that work great?
 

stprorolla49

Active Member
Oct 9, 2004
1,455
15
39
Fairfield, CT/North Jersey
Jan 31, 2008
#7
  • Jan 31, 2008
  • #7
BlackPearl955.0 said:
Yea but $300 is the price for a Nitto 555r and is what I payed for them when I wrapped my ponys. I love the tread pattern though on the R888 it is just something you dont see often.
Any other drag radials you guy run that work great?
Click to expand...

If you paid $300 a tire for 555r's you got ripped off. They are around $180 new for a 315/35/17, and since you wrapped them on 16" wheels, I would figure they would be even cheaper per tire.
 
I

inphiniti

Active Member
Mar 15, 2003
412
3
28
Providence, RI
Jan 31, 2008
#8
  • Jan 31, 2008
  • #8
what do u think is better... the toyos... or a bfgoodrich drag radial? i run a set of toyos up front with bf goodrichs out back, but need a new set for teh summer...
 

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
4,548
41
98
MAINE
Jan 31, 2008
#9
  • Jan 31, 2008
  • #9
StangGT1995 said:
I used to have some Toyo Proxes tires several years (7-8?) ago. I don't remember the exact model of the tire, but they got terrible traction. Grabbing second or third gear too hard broke them free with ease, and that was on a stock Mustang.
Click to expand...

Tire Technology has changed a lot in 7-8 years though
 

BlackPearl955.0

New Member
Jun 8, 2007
126
1
0
Blashyrkh, Wisconsin
Jan 31, 2008
#10
  • Jan 31, 2008
  • #10
stprorolla49 said:
If you paid $300 a tire for 555r's you got ripped off. They are around $180 new for a 315/35/17, and since you wrapped them on 16" wheels, I would figure they would be even cheaper per tire.
Click to expand...

What I meant by ponys is both cars The saleen rims cost me about 300 a piece the pony rims cost me somewhere around 160.
 

Adam95GT

New Member
Aug 14, 2006
2,564
3
0
Burlington, NJ
Feb 1, 2008
#11
  • Feb 1, 2008
  • #11
I run proxies up front... defniately help the car on tight turns... great tire... a little more then i wanted to spend however but worth it...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

O
SOLD FS: 18" FR500 chrome wheels and Toyo tires
  • optionizerSS
  • May 21, 2026
  • Other Classifieds
Replies
1
Views
208
Other Classifieds Jun 2, 2026
optionizerSS
O
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
409
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
O
Good all around perfornace-ish tires?
  • optionizerSS
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
427
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 15, 2026
TPony
G
Fox Tire Size for 16" Pony Wheels on 1984 LX Convertible
  • gw7
  • Jun 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
181
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 25, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?