TR3550 with a T-5 bellhousing?

nickster1

Nov 21, 2001
NY
Ok, so I have a similar post on the corral to see if anyone knows but as I'm continuing to find out more about a 93 coupe that I purchased - a few questions have come up. As I'm underneath the car pulling the driveshaft to replace a worn u-joint, I snapped a pic of the tag on the transmission - it has what appears to be a standard TR3550 part # 2600682. Then I notice on the bellhousing the part # E6ZR-6394-AA - which equates to a standard 86-93 T-5 bellhousing. I was under the impression that you needed a different bellhousing to attach a Tremec (3550)?

Searching on the interweb and on the different forums - the consensus from most is that it cannot bolt up to a T-5 bellhousing and needs an earlier 83-up SROD bellhousing? So, is this one of those internet folklore stories that everyone assumes is true or can you really use a T-5 bell? I have run across a few posts where "a friend of a friend" bolted up their 3550 without even removing the bellhousing from the engine but it doesn't appear to be the norm? I've never had a 3550 so this is new territory for me.

Does anyone know if the T-5 bell can be used and if so - does it need to be modified? Any cons to using a T-5 bell?

Attachments

• 3550_tag.jpg
    3550_tag.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 236
  • bellhousing_part#.jpg
    bellhousing_part#.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Sponsors (?)

T3550 used the SROD bolt pattern. Main difference between that and t5 is location of one hole. T5 bell supposedly can be drilled and tapped to accommodate the 3550, however the input shaft housing is smaller so it doesn't help located the trans to center of the driveline. I supposed a spacer can be made.

Pics of the trans itself?

SROD bell

IMG_9434.jpg

Vs T5 bell.
IMG_9432.JPG

You can see the holes for the SROD/3550 mounting are present. Input shaft locating circle diameters don't look too far off. I don't have an SROD bell to measure though

Thanks Mustang5L5 - attaching a pic of a 86-93 fox T5 bell (E6ZR) - which is really the same as the E3ZR bell? I noticed it doesn't have the "locating" holes cast where you would need to drill and tap - so does this mean that they are all dimensionally the same as long as you tap and drill the 2 holes on left side? I know you said one - but isn't there 2 that are not in the right place (for a 3550)? The center hole looks like it's the same on all of them - just eyeballing it of course.

Also attaching Ford Performance pic from LMR showing the 2 holes that are present in the bell for 3550 - does the 3550 use both of these left holes or only one?

And also attaching pics of the trans itself - kind of hard with the phone...lol...but are you looking for something in particular?

Attachments

• LMR_tremec_bell.jpg
    LMR_tremec_bell.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 252
  • t-5_bell.jpg
    t-5_bell.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 390
  • tremec_3550.png
    tremec_3550.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 229
  • tremec_tail.png
    tremec_tail.png
    2 MB · Views: 244
Yes, two holes would need to be drilled/tapped. And the e3 and e6 bell ar essentially the same other than a few minor differences...the lack of the cast locating holes for the older SROD is one.

The SROD bellhousing is 79-83. Part number d9zc-6394-ba.

So what's the cons (besides the holes) with using the T5 bell? Does the difference in the center hole cause any driveline angle issues or does it really not matter because once it's bolted up it's not moving anyway?

Unfortunately I can't answer that. Best way to determine if it's an issue is to find someone with a d9 bellhousing and ask them to measure the center hole. They look pretty close so need to see if that's actually a concern.

My e3 bell is 4.90" in diameter. Just need to find someone with a d9 bell to measure