Traction control not working

01ragtop

May 20, 2004
San Diego
I just bought an 01 convertible GT and noticed that it will spin the tires even when Traction Control is on. The greenlight comes on upon starting the car and the abs also comes on but they both go out after the car is running. I have hit the brakes pretty hard a few times but they have never locked up. I was wondering if maybe the previous owner has done some mod that might make this happen and if so how where is the best place to look. Thanks guys and gals.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks but maybe I should have also noted that the car will spin the tires wether or not the Traction control button has been pushed. The light that says "off" works but the tires spin either way. However the antilock brakes work fine I am not trying to turn them off!

cybore said:
Try spinning your wheels around a corner, then it will kick in for sure. It might not kick in if both wheels spin equally.

yea, i've run into traction control enough times trying to merge from my neighborhood onto the main road that i remember to turn it off when i get in the car now if it's dry out.

inferno9898 said:
if you break the tires loose with traction control on, the dash light should come on and you should feel it lose power.

I have no loss of power when spinning the wheels my freind has a 04 and you can feel the difference when his traction control kicks in, mine will smoke the tires and not cut power.

If you just dump the clutch you tires should spin for a second and then the traction control should pull fuel and apply brake.

If you can jsut sit there spinning at 6k then it is not working.

It is not instantanious though it will spin for a second before it kicks in. If it is not working consider yourslef lucky. I had to spend $50 for a memory module so it would rember it was off. I hated the TC.