Traction Control Problem - please help

tim8oland

Nov 15, 2004
Saugus, CA
hey everyone,
sorry if my problem has already been answered, but i haven't been able to find a fix. here's my issue:
I have an '02 GT 4.6 and when I gas the car the traction control light comes on and it loses power especially when i go above 3000 rpms. Down shifting to get the rpms up does not help either. I can turn off the traction control and it fixes the problem and all is well, as if nothing ever happened. but once i turn the car off and the traction control is reset to the ON mode, it will once again lose power and the traction control light will come on almost instantly if i go above 3000 rpms...in any gear...What's wrong with my stang?? any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

hey everyone,
sorry if my problem has already been answered, but i haven't been able to find a fix. here's my issue:
I have an '02 GT 4.6 and when I gas the car the traction control light comes on and it loses power especially when i go above 3000 rpms. Down shifting to get the rpms up does not help either. I can turn off the traction control and it fixes the problem and all is well, as if nothing ever happened. but once i turn the car off and the traction control is reset to the ON mode, it will once again lose power and the traction control light will come on almost instantly if i go above 3000 rpms...in any gear...What's wrong with my stang?? any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

You've got to have a wheel speed sensor that is out to lunch, so that the computer is concluding that the rear wheels are spinning and backing off the power to prevent it.

I concur. One of the rear sensors is going out and reading incorrectly.

It also is tied into the ABS system so you may want to get that fixed or it becomes a safety issue.

You've got to have a wheel speed sensor that is out to lunch, so that the computer is concluding that the rear wheels are spinning and backing off the power to prevent it.

I concur. One of the rear sensors is going out and reading incorrectly.

It also is tied into the ABS system so you may want to get that fixed or it becomes a safety issue.

It sounds like a wheel speed sensor issue. However it might just be dirty. The sensors are magnetic and attract brake shavings. When they get full of shavings it screws with the magnetic tone that the sensor is looking for making them do all kinds of weird stuff. Mine were dirty and everytime I came to a full stop my ABS would kick in. I cleaned them up and the problem went away. If you look at them I guarentee they will be full of metal. Very common. Take them out, wipe them off and see if that fixes your problem. If not you prob need to replace the sensor.