Fox Trans bolt questions..

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
*** I've already looked at the bolt thread sticky ***

So over the week end I installed the bellhousing and transmisison... I was missing one of my long bellhousing to block bolts, so had to by a new one 7/16x14..

I bought 2 of the smaller ones also to have i case I need them... which I did, the 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing, 2 of the heads didn't look good, so I replaced them with these....

I have a poly trans mount to install, and I can't find the 2 bolts that bolt the mount to the trans... and I was looking at the bolt sticky, and now I'm confused... it says the (4) bolts that hold the trans to the bell housing are "Transmissions to Bellhousing ---12mm x 40mm X 1.75 pitch. Ford# N605935-S2" Well I used the 2 extra 7/16x14 bolts, and they went in and tightened just fine... so wth!!!! so now I'm confused by that...

and I tried the old trans to bell housing bolt in the bottom of the trans where the trans mount bolts to see if that was the same size, and that also seem to screw in just fine, but yet the sticky says they should be "1/2" X 13 X 1-1/2” long" I want to go out to homedepot and get 2 grade 8 bolts, but now I'm really confused on the right size...

• Sponsors (?)

Damn everything I find on the interwebs do say those (4) bolts are 12mm x1.75 bolts... wtf... the trans has a jasper metal tag attached to the side.. so I know the trans has be replaced (but the bellhousing would not of been included I'm sure)... but why are the bolts on the bell hosing different... the bolts threaded in easy, and the all tightened up.. (since it too hard to get to them, and no way I was going to be able to torque them, I got them the old German "good and tight"... with out have 2 to compare, a 7/16x14 wouldn't screw into those holes easy right? wonder if someone re-tapped them to 7/14 x 14? Damn this just really bothers me.... but like I said, I got them tight with now issues... so I guess the trans wont fall out... ;-)

Run a few heat cycles and check 'em again,

well they were tight when I took them off, had to hit the wrench a little with my rubber mallet.... there were no alum/threads material or anything on the bolts,...

I just got back form home depot with bolts for the trans mount... I did found a 12mmx1.75 bolt and took that to the sizing tool they have in the isle... and tried it in the 7/16x14 it's the same size/thickness just diff. thread it went in a hair or too and stop... So I'm guess they ran these in at some time in the cars life.... arrgggg, but like I said they screwed in good, and I got them good and tight... so hopefully they will be alright... wont get to start it until spring... but I'll keep an eye when I finally start to drive it... The next time I drop the trans, I may have to invest in a new bell housing and the correct bolts... ..

Man, am I a dumb azz.... so the bolts that were in it were correct... I was loosing sleep over it.. so yesterday while I was under there install the crossmember, I decided to try and back out of the 2 wrong (7/14x14) bolts I put in... came out fine... no alum on the threads... I did notice once it got out a bit it was loose/wiggily... so then I put the orginal back in... and it dind't have that looseness, and it tighted up fine (thank god)... I then did the same for the other... (I didn't sued them since the heads were rounding/chewed up a little, and since I had the 2 new ones I got, which I thought were the same I used them.)..

Next time I have to remove it, I will replace them with new ones... but for now... all's good, and I was able to sleep better... I also put 2 new bolts in the lower part of the bellhousing that secure the plate... there the 5/16 bolt 1" long, I know someone must of put the wrong ones in there... since there were not 1" long, and one would not tighting at all... so I ran a tap in there and fixed that and no that's good too...

Reactions: 1 user