Transmission Cooler....In a 90 Fox Body..Where to mount?

• Sponsors (?)

I use one as well. When I had it in the nose ahead of the AC, I noticed a drop in AC coolness and the car ran a bit warmer. I have a somewhat large convertor and I suppose it puts out some heat.

Now, on my 89, since that is a pretty heavily built steel cooler unlike the aluminum tube and fin style (think AC condensor fragile). I mounted it under the car sorta, flat on the passenger side lower radiator support, perpendicular to the charcoal canister. I bolted two bolts to the bottom of the radiator support, and made another mount to anchor and stabilize the rear of the cooler.

The trans runs as cool as it did in the nose it seems. It gets a lot of air there the car is moving, and it gets the wash from the fan hits it when idling.

So far, I haven't even seen a dent or mark in it from being there and getting hit by something. I HAVE seen big dents in the cheaper one I had in the nose from stones on the highway, almost breaking a tube I noticed. So, I guess under there is cool.

Seems to me, mine is the 28,000GVW unit...

Remember - air coming off engine oil and transmission coolers has removed heat from fluids that can be at 200F-260F. The air coming off your tranny cooler can actually be hot enough that it's HEATING your coolant if you're running a 160 or 180 t'stat. The same thing happens with A/C condensers. If you must mount it in front of the radiator, put it in between the a/c condenser and the radiator. But I'd look for a place underneath where the very hot air coming off the cooler doesn't pass back through the a/c condenser or the radiator. I've got some pics of my oil cooler mount - pm me with your email address if you'd like to see them for ideas about how to mount your tranny cooler.

Micheal, i thought i remembered you having a cooler. how do you pump the oil into it? sorry if that is a really stupid question; trans coolers on manuals are rare as far as i know. im thinking pumps like on a dry sump oil configuration, but that seems too involved. neat idea though. :nice:

Michael Yount said:
I've got some pics of my oil cooler mount - pm me with your email address if you'd like to see them for ideas about how to mount your tranny cooler.

oops. i originally thought you had a manual trans cooler and were referring to the fluid generically as 'oil.' brain was on trans coolers. i get it - you were just telling him ideas on where and how to mount any cooler.

i will go back under my rock. :)

Mustang John said:
Now, on my 89, since that is a pretty heavily built steel cooler unlike the aluminum tube and fin style (think AC condensor fragile). I mounted it under the car sorta, flat on the passenger side lower radiator support, perpendicular to the charcoal canister. I bolted two bolts to the bottom of the radiator support, and made another mount to anchor and stabilize the rear of the cooler.

Do you have a picture of how its mounted? And what did you use to stabilize it.

Before i tossed out my C4, my cooler was mounted on the front of my bumper cover underneath my license plate where the smaller grill opening is on an LX 4 eye car. You couldnt really notice it from a standing view in front of the car, and it got a fresh shot of air while driving and didnt hamper the radiator air flow or anything like that.

This is probably the most ghetto way of mounting one BTW, it was held on by zip ties. It wouldnt be a bad idea if it were mounted on the inner side of the bumper cover though. My only concern was rocks hitting it, but i drove it all over the place and never had any problems.