Transmission cooler question about running the lines

I have a 69 cougar with a 351w and an Art Carr C4 w/transbrake. I have a big trans-cooler (I forget the actual specs, but roughly 12"x6"x1" with it's own fan). I ran the lines from the transmission to the radiator, then to the cooler, then back to the transmission.

I routed it like this because I figured the radiator will help cool it to the minimum temp of the water, then to the trans-cooler for better cooling.

However, I got to thinking and was curious if the trans-fluid is heating up the water. When cruising, I don't have a problem with it heating up, only sitting still.

Do you think if I omitted the radiator in the trans-fluid path that it'll help the motor run cooler? Will the transmission run hotter? What are your thoughts?

I'm running ~11.5:1 CR and a 224/234 & .496"/.520" cam, with the stock radiator, a pulling electric fan inside and the trans-cooler with a pushing electric fan on the outside.

The car's pretty much a track car only, it never sees the street. When I'd race in a true street style race, it would heat up if I had to sit at a light or in traffic. I just want to help prolong the life of my transmission and help keep my water temps down.

Discuss.

• Sponsors (?)

if your trans fluid is hotter than your water temp. then sure its heating up your water, but how much , i dont know, it maybe only a few degrees , it may be 15-40 degrees??.

If you want to know for sure, bypass going through the radiator and see what the difference is if any in the water temp.

Your stock radiator isnt helping anything either.
if your trans cooler mounted directly infront of your radiator, it's passing it's heat to the radiator too.

If you could move the trans cooler anywhere else, it would help your water temp.

Yes, the transmission fluid will heat up the radiator fluid. How much... I'm not sure. I would think that your aftermarket cooler will offer plenty of cooling (especially with electric fan) and so there is no point in routeing the tranny fluid through the radiator as well.

If you want to further improve cooling. An engine oil cooler like your tranny fluid cooler will work well. Cools your engine oil which in turn helps cool the engine AND has the benifit of adding extra oil capacity.

I have a fairly small but efficient trans cooler on mine, it is rated for 27,000 pound GVW. I am not running any ATF through the radiator at all.

plumb6.jpg

Attachments

• plumb6.jpg
    plumb6.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 2,688
mustangdave said:
Does your electric fan have a shroud?
Yes

grego37 said:
if your trans cooler mounted directly infront of your radiator, it's passing it's heat to the radiator too.

If you could move the trans cooler anywhere else, it would help your water temp.
I thought of that as well. There's just not a lot of room up front. I'll have to look into it and see what my options are.

Thanks!

I also thought about one of two things:
1)running the lines to the cooler first, then to the radiator. If the trans-fluid temp is cooler than the water temp at that point (which I doubt), it would help cool the water a tiny bit, but it'll warm the trans-fluid a tiny bit as well.

2) bypass the radiator as far as the trans-fluid is concerned, and do what was mentioned above about adding an oil cooler.