transmission harness

• Sponsors (?)

reason for question:

Pulled out 2.3 and T5 (original engine & trans).

Installed 5.0 and brand new T5Z. The Z has a NSS connector at the top and a backup light switch on the side. The original 2.3 T5 has the backup light connector ONLY. No other plug (other than for the VSS) which also means no connector for the NSS. I'm getting a code 67 and crap running engine.

I am wondering...if the extra plug is buried under the carpet or something? Everyone says that the 5.0 and 2.3 T5 harness is the same.

Depends on the year. Early t-5s did not have the NSS plug on the top of the trans. Also, some non-WC t-5s also did not have it. I do not know what year ford started putting the NSS on the cars but I beleive 87+ cars all have it.

The trans has a small 1-foot pigtail from the NsS that connects to the main body trans harness.

This harness is year and transmission specific. AOD cars do not have the plug for the NSS in this harness. Only t-5 cars do.

The harness connects at the drivers side foot well, runs under the carpet to the trans tunnel and then through and out to the trans. On t-5 cars, there are three connections...NsS, vSS and the reverse harness (with neutral safety jumpered in it). Some early 86-88 cars without cruise control will lack the VSS harness partmof it.

AOD cars will only have the VSS and reverse harness plugs.

the car is an original unmolested 1993 hatchback that came with a 2.3 and a T5.

There is 2 plugs in the trans harness. One goes to the VSS the other one goes to the backup light switch. There was a approx. 1 foot length harness that plugs into the transmission backup light switch, ran from trans to body harness. That plug has 4 wires. A brown, black, red (might be red/blue) and a white. The red and the white have a jumper between them.

So....it appears to me that the trans harness is DIFFERENT between the 93 5.0 and the 93 2.3. The 2.3 doesn't have a neutral start switch. Only a clutch switch. I've had this car for many years and it's not like my old '89 2.3 car...which I could start in neutral without depressing the clutch pedal.

That's odd because I took a t-5 from a 2.3l and installed the guts for a 2.95 z spec trans inside. It did have the NSs provision on the top cover.

Either way, code 67 should not affect how the car is running at all.

I was wondering if code 67 would affect idle. I'm have serious surging and dieing issues. That's why I have been chasing 67. I also have 34 and haven't figured it out yet either. And it won't idle well enough to do a running code check (KOER). Just surges and then dies. I did notice that if I hold the clutch pedal down while doing a KOEO code dump, the 67 doesn't show up. Only 34. I got back under the car and unplugged the transmission harness (with the jumper) and thought that it might help, but it won't even start with it unplugged. So apparently, the '93 2.3L harness has something different than the early cars. Running an A9L computer, a '93 GT (auto) MAF harness, 5 speed O2 harness, 5 speed trans harness and the rest of the car is '93 stock 4 cyl stuff.

Tried to set base idle at 1000 RPM and it still wants to surge and die. Sometimes it dies when I push the clutch pedal in to come to a stop. Aggravating. Can't even charge the A/C...wont' idle long enough. Have to keep running back and forth between underhood and the driver's seat to restart the stupid thing. One problem after another. I'm getting further behind the more stuff I try to fix it seems. Got the E fan wired to the controller, the controller is sweet. Fan came on, ran a minute, then crapped out...one of the blades broke off and went through the fan housing and also damaged the radiator. Going to order a Contour fan assembly and a radiator next paycheck (next month). In the mean time I'll try to fix the JUNK chinese thermostat housing that doesn't fit correctly and pisses water all over the place. I haven't found anything yet that those slant eyed morons can build worth a crap...at least not automotive (or powersports) related.

signed,
Frustrated.

Well, code 67 is generated two ways.

One is the NSS on the top of the trans, the other is by pushing the clutch pedal in the entire time you run the codes. Ideally, this is what you are supposed to do...clutch in the entire time.

So, you are saying you don't have the NSS in the trans harness at all? A 5.0 5-spd harness should have three plugs dangling in the trans tunnel...one is the NSS plug.

But no, a code 67 shouldn't cause your symptoms

Found a 5.0 93 lx in a yard...burned up but it had a NGS on the font of the transmission. My lx does not but it was originally a 2.3. Also found a 91, 92,and 93 4 cyl cars in the same yard..,none of those had NGS in the T5 either. Appears that the 91-93 2.3-T5 cars didn't have the same trans harness as the 5.0 cars did. So this is something that those of you who are planning an EFI 5.0 swap into an original 91-93 2.3 mustang. I also looked at some wiring diagrams to verify. Odd that Ford would change the harness for 91-93 models. The 87-90 2.3 trans harness I believe are the same as the 87-90 5.0's and maybe that harness works with 91-93 5.0 as well...although I've not had the time to trace the wiring diagram to verify.

I used your surging idle checklist. Followed it to a "tee". Clearing code 67 helped a bunch. Still not perfect but it helped. I clearned 67 by grounding pin 30--have another trans harness to put in the car but for the time being for testing purposes, I just grounded pin 30. Also double checked 46 for +12v and we are good there (no +12v during cranking). Just making sure I have the proper O2 harness.

If you can't get the base idle down below 650 RPM you have mechanical problems. Once the SPOUT and IAC are disconnected, the computer no longer has any control over idle speed. You either have a vacuum leak or a binding throttle cable or throttle butterfly.

Be sure to check for the presence of either a hole or a plastic plug in a hole the in the throttle butterfly. Ford used this as a method to help control idle speed.

Code 67 - clutch not depressed (5 speed) or car not in neutral or park (auto) or A/C in On position when codes where dumped. Possible neutral safety switch or wiring problem. This code may prevent you from running the Key On Engine On tests. You can generally ignore this code, since it has no effect on engine performance.

The computer wants to make sure the A/C is off due to the added load on the engine for the engine running tests. It also checks to see that the transmission is in Neutral and the clutch depressed (T5, T56, Tremec 3550 & TKO)). This prevents the diagnostics from being run when the car is driven. Key On Engine Running test mode takes the throttle control away from the driver for several tests. This could prove hazardous if the computer was jumpered into test mode and then driven.

The NSS code 67 can be bypassed for testing. You will need to temporarily ground computer pin 30 to the chassis. Computer pin 30 uses a Lt blue/yellow wire. Remove the passenger side kick panel and then remove the plastic cover from the computer wiring connector. Use a safety pin to probe the connector from the rear. Jumper the safety pin to the ground near the computer.
Be sure to remove the jumper BEFORE attempting to drive the car!!!

Depends on the year. Early t-5s did not have the NSS plug on the top of the trans. Also, some non-WC t-5s also did not have it. I do not know what year ford started putting the NSS on the cars but I beleive 87+ cars all have it.

The trans has a small 1-foot pigtail from the NsS that connects to the main body trans harness.

This harness is year and transmission specific. AOD cars do not have the plug for the NSS in this harness. Only t-5 cars do.

The harness connects at the drivers side foot well, runs under the carpet to the trans tunnel and then through and out to the trans. On t-5 cars, there are three connections...NsS, vSS and the reverse harness (with neutral safety jumpered in it). Some early 86-88 cars without cruise control will lack the VSS harness partmof it.

AOD cars will only have the VSS and reverse harness plugs.

Hey I know this is an old post hopefully you guys see it. I have an aod 93 converted it to a standard, do I need to change out the transmission harness to have the NSS plug or will it run like that? Thanks in advance.

My dad and I did the swap on a 91 GT he had and we let the auto computer and wiring in place and it ran just fine. We did connect the clutch safety switch though.

If you are use a A9L manual computer you will want to get the NSS working properly.